SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher 6mm UW eyepiece question

Hi

I am confused with the variety of SW 6mm UWA Planetary eyepieces available. Which is the better one - I am guessing the first one as its fully multicoated and more eyerelief. I have a f/5 130mm reflector (Celestron astromaster)

FLO has this which says its fully multi-coated lens elements and a wide 58 degree fov, 16mm eyerelief

- https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/skywatcher-uwa-planetary-eyepieces.html

365astronomy & Amazon and several others have this; which says its Multi-Coated with 66º fov, 14.5mm eye relief

- https://www.365astronomy.com/SkyWatcher-6mm-UltraWide-Eyepiece-1.25-31.7mm-Format.html

The one you link to at FLO is quite a bit better quality than the 356 Astronomy one. In all honesty neither is really a UWA (Ultra Wide Angle) eyepiece though. Wide angle, maybe, or at least wider than a stock plossl or kellner type.

There was a report recently from an owner of the 4mm Skywatcher UWA planetary eyepiece thatr was very favourable.

That is the Skywatcher global website. Those eyepieces have been in the Skywatcher range for years and are available (as are many eyepieces) under various other brandings too. The website of the UK importer of Skywatcher gear (OVL) does include the 58 degree UWA Planetary range:

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_accessories-eyepieces/skywatcher_planetary_eyepieces.html

The world of eyepieces can be very confusing because many designs are available under many brandings and sometimes at varying prices !

When out doing presentations with my club, primary schools, scout groups

I actually use 17mm UWA

Was out last night, and Jupiter was almost over head, clear skies

Was able to see bands, and moons around Jupiter

Saturn was not far behind Jupiter, with Scorpio splitting both planets

Rings were very clear, and able to see a couple of moons also around Saturn

John

Thanks gents. Onwards and upwards 🙂

In the UK both the planets traverse quite low. I did have a look at both last week with a Svbony 23mm and could see the rings on Saturn. Could see faint lines across Jupiter and 4 moons. The 10mm supplied with my telescope doesnt give great images. With the self erecting 20mm piece I removed the erecting prism and images have become better (Svbony has a better FOV and at times clearer it seems).

Edited by M55_uk

11 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

When out doing presentations with my club, primary schools, scout groups

I actually use 17mm UWA

Was out last night, and Jupiter was almost over head, clear skies

Was able to see bands, and moons around Jupiter

Saturn was not far behind Jupiter, with Scorpio splitting both planets

Rings were very clear, and able to see a couple of moons also around Saturn

John

17mm John ?

Were you using one of these ?:

https://www.astroshop.eu/eyepieces/skywatcher-eyepiece-swa-70d-17mm-1-25-2-/p,33494

Hi M55_ukI have a Skywatcher F5 305mm Dobsonian and have recently used the 4mm and 5mm Skywatcher Planetary EP's from FLO and they are astonishingly good for their price, I can't recommend them highly enough. Haven't used the 6mm but see no reason why it too wouldn't perform to the same high standard. 

I am aware that telescopes do seem to be suited to certain types and brands of eyepiece, the SW Planetaries seem tailor made for my scope and there is no guarantee they will work so well with your Celestron scope, but you never know until you try.

19 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

the SW Planetaries seem tailor made for my scope and there is no guarantee they will work so well with your Celestron scope, but you never know until you try.

I think there is a good chance they will work well with any scope. If you consider that your 4mm something like a 20mm eyepiece with a 5X barlow in the nose then the light cone reaching the "eyepiece" part is always going to be narrow whatever the scope and that should be quite well corrected. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, M55_uk said:

I read that these have inbuilt barlow. Do you know how to remove it and see the difference?

There are one or two lenses that act like a barlow, not a removable barlow. You should not remove them. 

• Like 1

I had a bit of luck on Saturday and managed to view Jupiter & Saturn using my new 4mm SW planetary eyepiece. Jupiter was a bit hazy but Saturn was clearer. 👍 So looking promising!

I am guessing the reason Jupiter isnt as clear is due to combination of reasons: low trajectory, brightness of planet, poor collimation.