Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finding focus (SCT, Mak)

When you guys are setting up for imaging, how do you find your perfect focus? What programs etc. Do you use? Finding focus with my newt seemed a lot easier than with my mak.

For " perfect  " imaging focus you need some sort of motor focuser, this will either fit on the existing focus knob or better still with an SCT onto some sort of add on focuser that takes over after getting near with the mirror.

They all have ASCOM drivers and work with most imaging software.

Dave

34 minutes ago, johninderby said:

It’s not hard to adapt a Skywatcher Auto Focus motor to your mak. 

206CE931-005D-40F1-A144-22CE12620140.jpeg

Nice! Just wish this scope had two finder scope dovetails. One thing about my finder, it's a large one (can't remember the size 50mm?) It doesn't adjust far enough inward to be spot on with the scope, I have to remember how far away from center the star needs to be!😁

The 180 mak has two sets of threaded mounting holes for a finder shoe so you can fit the finder on one side or the other. I simply screwed a second shoe in place using two screws.

Edited by johninderby

5 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The 180 mak has two sets of mounting holes for a finder shoe so you can fit the finder on one side or the other. I simply screwed a second shoe in place.

Ah I see the 127 has no sutch option.

Thanks

Steve

You could always use a dual finder bracket like this. Would have to see if the finder base would give enough clearannce to miss the visual back/ diagonal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orion-Finder-Scope-Mounting-Bracket/dp/B00D2LEHIU

There used to be a focus motor made for the mak but that was years ago. Was called the Gskyfocuser for mak.

Edited by johninderby

4 minutes ago, johninderby said:

You could always use a dual finder bracket like this. Would have to see if the finder base would give enough clearannce to miss the visual back/ diagonal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orion-Finder-Scope-Mounting-Bracket/dp/B00D2LEHIU

There used to be a focus motor made for the mak but that was years ago. Was called the Gskyfocuser for mak.

Thanks the issue is when mounting on the right side (eq mode) of the azgti then the shoe is in the 7 o'clock. I've thought about tube rings but thats additional weight to an already fat scope with flip mirror and camera.

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

I added a second finder shoe. Many maks have two finder mounting positions. Which mak do you have?

I have the Orion 150mm model. Still figuring it all out😉