Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Weight limit for Skywatcher EQ2 Mount

Hi everyone. I'm considering saving myself money by attempting to mount a skywatcher 200P OTA ( 200mm Aperture/1200mm Focal Length ) onto my skywatcher EQ2 Mount that currently houses my Newtonian Reflector BK1309 ( 130mm aperture/900mm focal length ). I'm a newbie ( 7 months ) so i'm still learning. Could anyone tell me if my mount will handle size/weight of said OTA ? If not, would the Skywatcher EQ3-2 mount suffice? or will i have to go all out and get the Skywatcher EQ5 mount or equivalent? i'm about to order the Tube Rings for said OTA to mount to my EQ" but thought i'm best asking on here if it wioll even work ? Thanks in advance for any help guys.

The 200/1200 OTA is the Dobsonian version. This makes it longer and more prone to vibration than the 200/1000 that is supplied on the eq5. I think that there is absolutely no chance of either the eq2 or eq3 being stable enough. Even the eq5 may not be enough. You would be much better off building a new dob base for the OTA for both stability and ease of use. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Unfortunately....no.  The vibration would render the set-up completely un-useable.  I’m afraid that the EQ5 would be the absolute minimum in your case.  Not the news you wanted to hear, but will save you frustration in the long run.  EQ5’s come up quite often 2nd hand, as it’s the summer time right now you could hold out until one comes up?

• Thanks 1

In my experience the the 130 will be maxing out the EQ2. The EQ3/2 is a nice and very noticeable step up from the EQ2 but a 150mm F5 is the useful maximum in terms of reflectors. As has been said you are looking at an EQ5 or an equally substantial Alt/Az mount. Why not go for a home build dob mount for it. I'm guessing that there will be plenty of members who would assist with advice on this.

• Thanks 1

I have a dob base for 8 inch 1200 scope. I’ve de dobified the scope i had on this dob base (revelation 8 inch 1200 so very similar to yours) and I have the scope on an ioptron az pro - it vibrates a bit when focussing (but settles pretty quickly)even on this substantial mount but I am happy with it.  If you want the dob base and tube mounts it’s yours if you can collect it. I live near Walsall so i know it’s a bit of a trek, that said it’s free if you want it.

pm me if interested.

Steve 

Edited by Trikeflyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/07/2019 at 17:56, Trikeflyer said:

I have a dob base for 8 inch 1200 scope. I’ve de dobified the scope i had on this dob base (revelation 8 inch 1200 so very similar to yours) and I have the scope on an ioptron az pro - it vibrates a bit when focussing (but settles pretty quickly)even on this substantial mount but I am happy with it.  If you want the dob base and tube mounts it’s yours if you can collect it. I live near Walsall so i know it’s a bit of a trek, that said it’s free if you want it.

pm me if interested.

Steve 

Hi and thank you so much for such a kind and generous offer Steve! Unfortunately i don't drive due to health problems ( Epilepsy ) so i couldn't travel down to pick it up. Your offer is amazing though so thank you so much for your generosity, i'm incredibly grateful and moved by your offer! I'm going to build a Dobsonian mount at home as I've seen it done online and it's very basic woodwork/construction if one has the correct tools for the job. Luckily i'm really good at making things due to my 25+ years owning, building and flying Radio Controlled Helicopters, Planes. and building many many other RC Cars, trucks etc. The building of wooden framed Planes teaches you a lot about working from plans and with wood etc so i'm confident i will create a decent Dob Mount for my OTA. Thanks again Steve, God Bless You Sir.

PS-So sorry for such late reply, I've been very busy with family and other events. 

• Thanks 1

Thank You to everyone who took the time to give me advice on my question/predicament. I'm really grateful, and i'm glad i asked and didn't just go spend my limited funds on mounting rings for a mount that i know understand is no-where near sufficient for my large OTA. I've decided to build a Dob mount for it. I'm confident i can accomplish this due to my experience in making RC Model Planes, Helicopters, cars etc etc. They look pretty simple to construct. As i told Steve, i'm very sorry for late reply. I've been very busy with family and other events recently. Thank you all so much for the help n advice. I will post some pictures of my building of Dob mount and see what you guys think. Have a lovely weekend, Wes.

• Like 3