NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Shutter shake

I have a Celestron Evolution 6 and a Canon EOS R connected via a tele-extender.

I set the shutter to 2 second delay, but when it fires it induces a slight shake that blurs the image. And this is a mirror less camera.

What can I do to reduce this movement? Braces between the camera and the OTA?

0E0E3B13-3A5B-4937-874C-A11D4FE493F7.thumb.jpeg.dbdeb5d670d494cc581deb3a7120d838.jpeg

Edited by AusS2000

16 hours ago, AusS2000 said:

I have a Celestron Evolution 6 and a Canon EOS R connected via a tele-extender.

I set the shutter to 2 second delay, but when it fires it induces a slight shake that blurs the image. And this is a mirror less camera.

What can I do to reduce this movement? Braces between the camera and the OTA?

Have you tried silent shutter mode ?

Dave 

8 hours ago, davew said:

Have you tried silent shutter mode ?

Dave 

I thought of this this morning and yes, it fixes the issue.

The EOS R doesn't have a mirror to flip out of the way when you press the button. As people are used to this, Canon simulate it to give feedback to the user.

Going to Silent Shutter mode turns off the simulation, and in normal shooting situations is most disconcerting, but ideal for telescope work.

• Like 2

Another alternative is to cover the front of your scope... hit the shutter button, give enough time for shake to stop and uncover the front of the scope.... obviously without touching the scope.

2 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Another alternative is to cover the front of your scope... hit the shutter button, give enough time for shake to stop and uncover the front of the scope.... obviously without touching the scope.

How very 19th century. ;)

I guess this would work for long exposures but you’d have to cover up again before the shutter closed. At the moment I am just imaging the moon and next the planets, so only short exposures.

2 hours ago, AusS2000 said:

How very 19th century. ;)

I guess this would work for long exposures but you’d have to cover up again before the shutter closed. At the moment I am just imaging the moon and next the planets, so only short exposures.

Might be old school but lots of people claim to do it like that... even Greg Quicke (AKA Space Gandalf) claimed to do this on Stargazing Live...

I use a DSLR without mirror lockup on a CGEM and have never had shake caused by it... 

Personally I'd say that the single arm evo mount isn't as stable as needs to be, but works for you in silent mode... so the "19th century" method isn't necessary.

On 11/07/2019 at 10:25, happy-kat said:

Shoot video seeing as it is the Moon and process the video to get a final image.

Yes, for the moon and planets you need to be capturing video then stacking a percentage of the thousands of frames produced based on the quality of each frame.  The stacking software will do this automatically.

On 11/07/2019 at 18:25, happy-kat said:

Do you have a choice of either 2 or 10 second delay.

Get an intervalometer.

Shoot video seeing as it is the Moon and process the video to get a final image.

It's not finger/button shake, but shake induced by the shutter opening and closing.

Most of the time I am remote controlling it from a smartphone.

But as mentioned, it's a mirrorless camera, and turning on 'Silent Shutter Mode' fixed the issue.