Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I got a telescope from my friend it is old and blurry how do i use it

First of all, be careful with that "sun" filter. Don't point it at the sun before you know exactly what you are doing. 

Second, you need to give a ton more information and pictures if you want help. With what you have written, I can only say "go out at night and point it at stuff". 

My old Dixon's own brand "Prinz?" 60mm refractor came with those accessories, but so did a lot of other imported scopes!

A picture paints a thousand words... :) 

Anyway, as already said, forget the Sun filter. Assuming it's the bit of tinted glass that screws to the back of the eyepiece just throw it away and forget it. Not a safe way to observe the sun, not worth risking your sight for.

Agree to both statements, try it on the moon first.. do no risk it with looking at the sun until you are 100% certain that its safe and fully functional as a solar blocker.... If it happens to be a filter like a "Solar Continuum" filter and that all you use than it would be the last thing you'll see with that eye.

• Like 1

I remember the 1.5 x erecting lens on my old scope being very poor optically and only ever worsened the view, whilst it did "correct" the image, that doesn't matter on the sky. The 12.5mm eyepiece will give good views of craters on the Moon provided that the optics are in good order, i.e. not scratched or misaligned.

Most of those old Sun filters just screwed into the bottom of the eyepiece. Incredibly dangerous and must never ever be used as they can crack or explode from the suns heat possibly blinding you in one eye.

if it is indeed one of those filters that screws onto the bottom of the eyepiece place it on a rock and hit it with a large hammer many times. 

Proper solar filters go over the front end of the telescope.

Edited by johninderby