NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jodrell Bank Now World Heritage Site

johninderby

Yes, he was being threatened with prosecution for misuse of public funds. Along came Sputnik and only Jodrell Bank was able to track it. This spooked the West so the MOD stepped in with their enormous budget and he was able to complete the dish.

ย 

I was there a few weeks ago with Bromsgrove Astro Society. Well worth the visit.

Edited by david_taurus83
  • Like 2

Just now, MarsG76 said:

Definitely.. when I'm in that part of the world I'll be visiting Jordell Bank... Get some drone aerial shots.

I am not sure they would appreciate a radio transmitter in their radio quiet area!

Regards Andrewย 

As found on their website.

.. and our scientific work we do NOT allow vehicles OR remote-controlled devices on site. This includes hoverboards, skateboards, cycles, scooters and ride on toys etc and also devices such as drones, model aircraftย ...

Edited by johninderby

34 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

The main dish is currently having its surface panels replaced but there are another few dishes in constant operation 24/7. Everyone is requested to switch their phone off on site. Dont think a drone would be permitted.

ย 

29 minutes ago, johninderby said:

As found on their website.

.. and our scientific work we do NOT allow vehicles OR remote-controlled devices on site. This includes hoverboards, skateboards, cycles, scooters and ride on toys etc and also devices such as drones, model aircraftย ...

Of course they're not going to give permission for RF emitting devices.... there is always a exclusion zone.... down under it's a kilometer radius from the dishes and even at that distance a drone with a decent zoom lens will get good shots.... any close ups will be from the ground with a DSLR.

Of course one can risk flying closer and most likely nothing will happen BUT I find that in a lot of cases having a chat to the director and offering shots to them free to use how they want does wonders for a blind eye, than there is always the "a permit is $X" situation... and I found that that applies to a disproportionately lot of places.

And if it's too close to a airport, in restricted air space, or really a nuisanceย or hassle or an area doesn't want to agree/give permits, doesn't matter.. it's not like I HAVE to get the shot.... its just fun... no one should be flying those things in a way just to give the gumment another excuse to tighten the regulations.

ย 

ย 

Edited by MarsG76
  • Thanks 1