NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sh2-131 using old Canon FD lens

whipdry

I haven't tried this combination of camera/optics but am reasonably happy with the outcome.
Some of the equipment used is getting a little dated, the FD lens is 40+ years old!

Peter

341049827_Sh2-131_Ha7nm_resize_border_compressstars.jpg.fc51f1bc9a7aea70edcfa1698ada33b7.jpg

SXV-9h   Sony 1.4mp sensor
Canon FD 135mm F2.5 Imaged @ F4
Baader Ha 7nm 1.25"
Losmandy G11
SXV Autoguider
11x900sec. total 2.75 hours
SGPro,PHD2,AstroArt5,CS2 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

The old canon lenses can be quite good. Main problem, I think, is finding a suitable connector for the old FD mount. However you did that, it seems to have worked. Nice result.

Thanks. 

Here's what I used getting from the FD mount to T-mount;

Canon Lens Mount Converter B (from ebay if you're lucky) this leaves you with a Leica M39 thread. 

M39 to T-mount M42 converter (available from SRB). 

T-mount rings that get you to a total of 42mm of backfocus, 10mm worked for me and I was lucky enough to already have this with the added bonus of an internal 1.25" filter thread. 

I probably did this the hard way! 

Peter

• Like 1

I use vintage SLR lenses with M42x1mm thread for which adapters are available.  Asahi/Pentax Takumar, Super Takumar and SMC Takumar.  Excellent lenses even used at full aperture.

4 hours ago, Gina said:

I use vintage SLR lenses with M42x1mm thread for which adapters are available.  Asahi/Pentax Takumar, Super Takumar and SMC Takumar.  Excellent lenses even used at full aperture.

Thanks Gina, 

That's good information.

As my first SLR was a Canon AT1 all my vintage lenses are FD mount, I'll probably test the others sometime in the future. 

Peter

4 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Now that is a testament to the quality for that Canon lens.

Yes the lens is a good one, not so good was a Tamron SP 90mm F2.5 although it is secondhand so could have been dropped but has no signs of misuse! 

Peter

2 minutes ago, whipdry said:

Yes the lens is a good one, not so good was a Tamron SP 90mm F2.5 although it is secondhand so could have been dropped but has no signs of misuse! 

Peter

Comparing Tamron to a Canon is not really a contest... 

I've got a Canon 135 f/2.5 FD and can attest to its quality, it really is a superb lens. Must get round to using it. It feels like a solid lump of glass.

• Like 1