Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR: Does it need a rest between exposures?

I vaguely remember reading that CCDs need a cool-off period after each exposure. Does this apply to DSLRs too? I use an EOS 450D and only give it 5 seconds between the end of one exposure and the beginning of the next. Mind you, I'm only shooting 30-60 second exposures. Should I give it more rest time?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it does it will vary from camera to camera and the operating temp etc.

My Nikon D200 needed approximately 1/2 the light exposure time between exposure otherwise the ampglow wouldn't be stable and dark subtraction wouldn't work properly. It also took between 5 and 10 exposures to stabilise thermally...

My Modded 350D I can get away with 10s for 30-60s exposures but increase this to 60S for 180s and 90 s for 500s exposures.

You can do an experiment to work out how much you need by taking darks at the exposure setting you want to uses at the interval you want to use and seeing how the glow etc varies.. you will find a sweet spot..

Billy...

yep I'm with Billy on this one - not identical but similar.

For me

Up to around 90 seconds I leave about 15 seconds.

For 120 or 180 subs I leave 30 seconds.

For anything else I leave 60 seconds.

But as a rule I do not go over 5 minutes.

Ant

As i posted earlier you have to try your camera and find out what works... i think my external battery eliminator helps as well..

1:1 would kill my imaging productivity...

Billy...

Yeah my cameras running on AC. If your running on batteries they will be generating some heat, I guess that's why I get away with a short cooldown period.

George ,

Your latest batch of images should be testimony if any is needed that your timings are working very well for you - they are so smooth :):D:p

The Nikon D200 on internal batteries used to be a mare the Canon 350D is a lot more forgiving i haven't tried reducing my inter sub times even more... as my current setting s work... might be something I'll try on the next cloudy nights.

I am also wondering if the fact that I have no filter at all in front of the the sensor is helping as the next nearest surface it the rear lens of the FFIII

Billy...

I ran a batch of 9 x 10 min exposures last weekend with 10 seconds breaks, plus the download time of a couple of seconds.

I recorded the temperature (as I always do 'cos I'm sad like that) at 4.3C from the handset, so it wasn't particularly cold. There's a raw image of one of the 600 second darks here (second to last of 9 exposures) - maybe I'm missing something but I can't see the amp glow :?

Cheers,

Ian

I ran a batch of 9 x 10 min exposures last weekend with 10 seconds breaks, plus the download time of a couple of seconds.

I recorded the temperature (as I always do 'cos I'm sad like that) at 4.3C from the handset, so it wasn't particularly cold. There's a raw image of one of the 600 second darks here (second to last of 9 exposures) - maybe I'm missing something but I can't see the amp glow :?

Cheers,

Ian

I opened that in CS and confirm there's no amp glow, so whatever your doing is working for you :)

I opened that in CS and confirm there's no amp glow, so whatever your doing is working for you :)

I did the same George, I stretched it several times and still couldn't see any amp glow, that's why I asked if I was missing something :? I remember reading somewhere that the sensor only heats up when the data is being read and not while it's capturing light, but I don't know enough to give an explanation.

confused now,

Ian

Yeah my cameras running on AC. If your running on batteries they will be generating some heat, I guess that's why I get away with a short cooldown period.

Hi George

What type of AC connection are you using? I tried one that is a modified battery with a cable leading to my powerpack.

This caused terrible amp glow, so I couldnt use it. However with batteries I can do 20 minute subs with no problems.

I really want to stop using batteries but dont know what to use!

Thanks

Arran

I built my own and put the DC to DC convertor on the cbale between the Cig Plug and the dummy battery that way any heat stays outside the camera and away form the Sensor :)

Billy...

Hi George

What type of AC connection are you using? I tried one that is a modified battery with a cable leading to my powerpack.

This caused terrible amp glow, so I couldnt use it. However with batteries I can do 20 minute subs with no problems.

I really want to stop using batteries but dont know what to use!

Thanks

Arran

"I built my own and put the DC to DC convertor on the cbale between the Cig Plug and the dummy battery that way any heat stays outside the camera and away form the Sensor"

Nice idea, sounds a bit complicated for me though haha!

Archived