NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I can't decide which Tak to buy :-(

Hi,

I've been trying to decide which Tak to buy for 2 weeks now ! I've had loads of help trying to decide yet I've still not ordered one. As I'll be using it on a Fornax Lightrack quite often for lunar imaging I THINK I've ruled out the FC100 due to size/weight even though I will also be using a HEQ5. Looking around on astrobin there are some excellent lunar images using the FS60CB and with my 178MM gives me a full disc without doing a mosaic but I'd probably use the 1.7 extender giving me f/10 BUT then I can't get a full disc using my 178MM ! If I upgrade to the 174MM this gives me a full disc using the extender BUT now I can easily get a full disc using the FC76DCU with the 174MM at f/7.5. I can't seem to find many images on astrobin using the FC76 ?

The FC76 isn't much bigger or heavier than the FS60.

I would also like to use it for observing on a alt/az mount and I have the Altair Astro Starwave mini mount so I think the FC76 with 1.7 extender is going to be the maximum payload, I think the FC100 is going to be too heavy ?

I'd also like to do some planetary imaging but I know it's going to be limited due to aperture, with my 224MC and the FS60Q it's a reasonable image even better with a x2.25 barlow obviously it's better with the 76 but how much better ? Am I going to be disappointed with the planetary imaging/observing with a 60 or 76mm aperture ?

On my Lightrack I normally use the Manfrotto 410 geared head which allows me to move my dslr to get perfect framing, I'll probably need to use the counterweight kit with the 76 so framing things will be a bit fiddly unless I use something like the ADM mini max guider mount which will allow me to fine tune my framing but this is just more cost and weight then I'm up to the cost of the FC100. I could probably just use the FS60CB and Q on the 410 head ?

How does the FC76 compare to say a cheaper 100mm ? Will I be wowed looking through the Tak ?

I thought I had decided on the FC76 and extender then if I got a 60 I've already got the extender if needed plus I could use the 60 for wide field DSO. The 76 and 60 are also much easier to travel with if needed.

I don't normally have this trouble deciding !

@SAW

So, you have no scope at the moment, you have an HEQ5 mount, you want something for both visual and imaging, and yet you need resolution and image scale for planets and moon. It's sounds like portability (travel) is desirable, but secondary.

For me the answer is simple: FC100.

I say this owning an FS102, FC76DCU (with a 1.6 x Extender Q if needed) and 2 FS60C's 🙂

Anything else will be too much of a compromise.

The FC100 is a lifetime scope, which can do pretty much everything. I don't see how you can ever be disappointed with that scope.

If you need something lighter/more portable, still get the FC100 and then wait for a decent used travel scope to come up, like something from WO.

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

Nice problem to have........😃

This is probably why I'm finding it so hard to decide as it's an expensive purchase, 3 or 4 times more than what I normally spend on a scope so I want the right one, I can't just buy another if it's not right. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SAW said:

This is probably why I'm finding it so hard to decide as it's an expensive purchase, 3 or 4 times more than what I normally spend on a scope so I want the right one, I can't just buy another if it's not right. 

Scary i know........but im sure when you do decide you wont be dissapointed.

• Thanks 1