Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Camera options

Any DSLR can be used for AP. You will need a T-ring to attach it to the scope. I don't know about Nikon, but a problem with Canons is that they include a filter that blocks a lot of the red light, including the Ha band that is so important for nebulae. This can be removed (a process called 'modding'). There is also a problem with some newtonians of being able to achieve focus - not enough travel inwards. Not sure if this applies to the 150p - users will be able to advise - but it can be solved by either replacing with a low-profile focusser or moving the primary mirror slightly up the tube.

A lot of my early AP attempts were with a simple canon plugged into an achromat refractor (not the best for imaging) on an altaz mount (definitely not the best for imaging) and I got some pleasing (to me!) results.

If you have not done so, and AP is your passion, this book is definitely worth getting.

I have a SW 150 PDS and use a Nikon D5300 on it with the Baader Coma Corrector. I have not had it modded yet and may not bother as I may move onto a Mono CCD and filters when budget allows.

I am relatively pleased with the results and the D5300 is a very capable DSLR. I do get quite a lot of noise in some images but I am still experimenting as I have only been doing this for 6 months or so.

The camera is probably far more capable than I am so most of my images so far do not do it justice. Once my image capture and processing skills improve I think the camera will be capable of much better results.

Good luck!

Daemon

m42 (002) - arctic.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, daemon said:

I have a SW 150 PDS and use a Nikon D5300 on it with the Baader Coma Corrector. I have not had it modded yet and may not bother as I may move onto a Mono CCD and filters when budget allows.

I am relatively pleased with the results and the D5300 is a very capable DSLR. I do get quite a lot of noise in some images but I am still experimenting as I have only been doing this for 6 months or so.

The camera is probably far more capable than I am so most of my images so far do not do it justice. Once my image capture and processing skills improve I think the camera will be capable of much better results.

Good luck!

Daemon

m42 (002) - arctic.jpg

Good. You might find this thread on clipping useful: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/335931-clipping-what-is-it/?tab=comments#comment-3656154

Olly

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anthony1979 said:

Im currently using a nikon D40 at the moment

Hi. I'd stick with that: nice big pixels.  IMHO if you went for any of the others, it would be for ease of software connection. HTH.

5 hours ago, Anthony1979 said:

What has no usb or wifi

The camera, I'd suggest.  Having USB control can allow you to do all sorts of clever stuff with software assuming the camera is supported, but it's quite possible to live without it if you have to.

James

OK, so if the Nikon has usb, why not use that? Or, if you are, why do you want to change?

I always find the 'why' question to be particularly useful when buying/changing equipment. If I cannot express exactly what I hope to achieve by the purchase, I usually find myself disappointed with the results ...

Similarly, if we know why, we can offer more tailored advice.

11 hours ago, Anthony1979 said:

What has no usb

Hi. Our d40 has no usb camera control -did later version using a lead/adaptor perhaps?- but it does have a connection for an intervalometer. I think the d40x added facility to be able to control via a computer.

HTH

**EDIT good news: we've not tested it but it now works with APT. There's a cable available.

Edited by alacant

Just on a side note: I have a Nikon D40x and it doesn't have video/film capability. That's pretty much essential if you want to photograph planets or the moon. Sure, you can take single shots of the moon. But they'll lack very much in quality compared to a stacked film. Also, it does not have live preview. Focusing through the finder is quite a challenge even when your telescope is not at an awkward angle. And if it is (which is often the case) it's damn near impossible.

Without having checked, I am guessing the D40 has the same above mentioned drawbacks as the D40X.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, George Gearless said:

Just on a side note: I have a Nikon D40x and it doesn't have video/film capability. That's pretty much essential if you want to photograph planets or the moon. Sure, you can take single shots of the moon. But they'll lack very much in quality compared to a stacked film.

For lunar and solar full disc images I've always stacked a set of stills from my 450D.  That works fine.  For example, this is scaled to 50% as far as I recall:

moon-2014-03-09.png

James

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Anthony1979 said:

hard to focus very hard

Hi. Point at a bright star and use a finder. Rotate to any angle. It can also magnifiy the image. Even without a mask, you can nail the focus easily. HTH.

d40.jpg.d155b686a5d06cfd34e945d7d485beb0.jpg