Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

6-7mm wide angle eyepiece

Mike_S

Okay so building up my eyepiece set for my f4.7 dob. 

I have a 5mm Myriad MWA and Pentax XW.  My next size up is a 9mm Myrid MWA.

i need one inbetween. Will probably buy the first I see come up second hand out of:

Explore Scientific 82 degrees 6.7mm

Televue Delos 6mm

Televue Nagler 7mm

Pentax XW 7mm

What would you go for given the choice?

What focal length Pentax XW do you have ?

Of the ones you list I would go for either the 6mm Delos or the 7mm Pentax XW. Ideally, both :smiley:

I find that I need more options as the focal length of the eyepiece gets shorter so my eyepiece ranges goes:

31mm, 21mm, 13mm, 8mm, 6mm, 5mm, 4mm 3.5mm, 3mm, 2.5mm and 2mm. Not all of those get much use with a 1200mm focal length scope of course !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MSammon said:

John what are your shorter focal length eyepieces up to 8mm?

From 8mm down I have:

8mm Ethos, 7mm Pentax XW, 6mm Ethos, 5mm Pentax XW, 4mm-2mm TV Nagler zoom and the 3.5mm Pentax XW. Some overlap between the zoom and the 3.5mm of course.

I also use a 21.5mm - 7.2mm zoom plus Baader 2.25x barlow combination quite often which gives me a 9.55mm - 3.2mm zoom which works surprisingly well. Great for mobile use when I don't want to cart a big set around.

My scopes range from 480mm to 1590mm in focal length and from 70mm to 300mm in aperture.

• Thanks 1

So it looks like my eyepiece collection will be Myriad 3.5mm, Myriad/Pentax XW 5mm (will sell one eventually). 6mm Delos, 7mm Pentax XW, 9mm Myriad, 13mm APM Lunt, 20mm Myriad and 30mm Explore Scientific 82 degrees. Just three left to buy. 

Between a 7mm and a 9mm, it might not get a lot of use but then again ....... it might be just what is needed for some targets/ conditions :smiley:

The Nirvana is nice but the 7mm XW is better optically I feel.

• Thanks 1

6 & 8mm Delos are as good as it gets in that scope. Although, from your list, I have not tried the Pentax. 6mm for planetary. 8mm for PN’s, detail in galaxies etc etc 😁.

Paul

• Like 1

The geometric mean between 5 and 9 mm is sqrt( 5 * 9 ) = 6.71 mm. This would give you equal steps in  magnification of 34% from 9 to 6.71 to 5mm

ES 6.7 82° would be your best in between fit, but I don't like that line due to its uncomfortable eye relief so I can't recommend it.

I have a 6.5mm Morpheus which is really good at f/5. You might consider that along with the others you mentioned.

• Thanks 1

I have the 7mm Pentax XW, but it is a bit difficult to hold the exit pupil with eyeglasses and has some lateral color, so not a favorite of mine.  The 6.5mm Morpheus or Meade HD-60 might be better alternatives.  I have the latter and find it quite enjoyable to use with few negatives other than a 65 degree field (yes, it measures 5 degrees wider than the claimed 60) rather than a 70 degree field (measured as indeed 70) for the XW.  I do have the 9mm Morpheus, and it is very nearly the equal of the 10mm Delos but wider (78 degrees measured) and ever so slightly less sharp.

• Thanks 1

I have had the 6mm Delos and 7mm Pentax and both as said by others are superb. If however you want a somewhat cheaper option the Meade 6.7mm 82 degree UWA that use to made by them is a very good eyepiece, ExSc make the same F/L too.

Alan

• Thanks 1