NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M104 The Sombrero Galaxy

tomato

This is 100 mins of data captured by  @Tomatobro using a SW 190MN, HEQ6 PRO and Atik 383. It was calibrated with APP, processed with APP and Startools.

I love the enigmatic appearance of this galaxy, the core is so dense and the contrast with the dust lane so sharp, at this resolution it appears almost artificial, the classic 50's flying saucer.

Capture details:

5 x 300 s each LRGB with Baader filters

Thanks for looking.

M104ver3 (2).jpg

Edited by tomato
Typo correction
  • Like 16

Very good. Always love seeing images of this, as there's not many flying around. And with good reason, as Adam says it's a hard one to get, so well done!

I presume you meant HEQ5-Pro? Or are you using an EQ6? The 190MN is an amazing scope, but I would have thought that it was too heavy for an HEQ5.

Thank you to everyone for the comments. I must emphasise this is not my data, @Tomatobro captured the subs from his location in Shropshire about 1.5  degrees South of me, but even so it was still skimming his garage roof.

Xiga, apologies for the hybrid mount ID, it is indeed a SW EQ6-R Pro mount.