NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Going To AstroFest 2009 ?

jcm

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'll give it a miss then, unless there were any real bargains to be had by going.

Many firms do have special discounts on the AstroFest days. I got a big discount on an expensive item - after 30mins of haggling. You can view the stands when the lectures are on - much quieter.

John

I will be there on both days...call be a mosochist, but I enjoy the "smallness" of the hall

If anyone in the Wiltshire area wants a lift, let me know. Wiltshire Astro Society will have at least two cars going down...if you're a WAS member, lifts are available

I will probably go again. Despite being busy last year it was a great day out :hello2:

Regards

Kevin

Thats what I think as well. From Peterborough its a quick trip to Kings Cross and the Circle tube takes you to High Street Kensington and its just over the road from the tube exit.

John

• 4 weeks later...

A group of us. Greg, Steve(Flo), James, Tony (Whippy), Daz, Ian (Lunator), myself, had lunch in A Subway place.

The group got bigger in numbers by the time the Fest finished. I remember Kevin, (Beyondvision), and several others dashing across London, looking for a Chinese place, but to no avail. Everywhere was packed. There were Sports cars all over the place. There must have been a Rally of sorts going on. Anyway. It was a good day. All I bought was a book too. :(

Ron.

I haven't been for about 4 years now, so its about time I went to have a browse at all the goodies. I will most likely go on the Saturday. I can't afford that much at the moment, since replacing my LX200 mount, but you never know if Astrofest specials will be on with some traders. Great to catch up with fellow enthusiasts as well.

I've not been for a couple of years, but may go this year depending on work.

It is crowded and most of the time you are staring at people's backs. Most retails don't give any good bargins at all (although the credit crunch may change that). Even AN, who seem to sponsor it, don't give anything if you take out a subscription there!

The Society for Popular Astronomy normally do a good deal on membership though - quite heavily discounted if you join for 2 years as I recall - and their red light pens are always good value.

If you want accessories or EPs, best to know what you want before you get there, go very early and use your elbows!

Some of the society stands are very good as well and there are nomally good competitions.

Just booked myself for the Saturday morning session....

Maybe we should arrange to meet somewhere at a specific time?

Richie

Lunch time is the best time to meet - if I remember from last year it runs from about 12.30/1.00 ish to 2.25pm

John

• 1 month later...

Archived