Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Carte du Ciel - sudden jump

gajjer

Finally I get round to using EQMOD and Carte du Ciel. I have never used either before. I was really chuffed when I got to point at a target and the scope went off and found it. Small adjustment then Sync and off to another target and repeat.

With the moon out last night I wasn't able to image the target I wanted to but I was happy having a little slew around. Later I changed to a different scope ( different focal length ) and repeated the targets and Sync.

Then when I slewed to one target, the concentric circles slewed to the target as did the scope, then right at the end the circles jumped up from the selected target ( I would say it jumped a distance about the diameter of the concentric circles ). Tried again and it did the same thing. Baffled!

Now, there are several possibilities I can see. One target required a meridian flip. I was looking mainly round that area. Did changing the scope cause a problem, trying to resolve two lots of sync. Was I right to save settings on shutdown? If I use a different scope next time does it start from scratch on alignment?

So:

1: What is the likely cause of the jump?

2: How do you scrub previous alignment if you change scopes

3: Does the alignment get saved for the next session.

I have a fixed pier, but remove the scope and pack away after each session.

Hope someone can help.

gaj

• Like 1

How are you connected to the mount (which is ?), direct or via the handset ? One thing that comes to mind is the existing sync points, force the mount to move. I don't use them & just plate-solve on each target, much easier, as long as you've mastered plate solving.....

8 hours ago, gajjer said:

1: What is the likely cause of the jump?

2: How do you scrub previous alignment if you change scopes

3: Does the alignment get saved for the next session.

1. EQMOD adjusting CDC RA/DEC to pick up on N-point alignment data maybe ? I have had this  too!

2. By clicking the X (there are 2 one clears alignment data and one clears sync data) in  Alignment/syn after clicking the "spanner button" in EQMOD Window

3. Only if you set EQMOD to save alignment details - as (2) to expand window then click "notepad" (Alignment Point List editor) - another window will appear showing alignment list and a section "load / Save Alignment Preset" which has 3 tick box;s untick first 2 (marked Load on unpark and Save on park).

I've had this in CdC for a while now, the indicator is off target when the target is plainly in the middle of the picture and the EQMOD sync data has been added to by a close by platesolved sync. I just ignore it, tried all sorts and no difference. I always save the model data on park and reload it as I have an observatory but it needs a clear out every now and then.

• 1 month later...

Where were you all - A few YEARS ago? [laughing]. I came to this discovery
"semi-independently" yesterday? I finally understand. A "good thing" etc. 😸

Although I do have the observatory, I take down and SWAP scopes a lot. 
But at least I can think about future "strategies". 🤔 I do hate unknowns! 😛

Thanks and Shameless <bump> 😄

Edited by Macavity