Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Connecting APT to Telescope

Can anyone tell me how I go about connecting APT to my NEQ6?  (So I can try plate solving, etc.)

Currently I use PHD2 with a cable connecting my laptop to my ASI120mc for guiding.  There is another cable that goes from the ASI120 to the mount.

Do I need another cable and the necessary drivers?

I'm an electronics engineer, but don't feel I have enough info to know what I'm doing on this one 😀

Thanks

John

First get EQASCOM/EQMOD (same thing sort of). You need a cable to connect your mount to the laptop. Ditch the ST4 cable (camera to mount) as its ancient tech. You can use the serial update cable and handset in PC direct mode but a better option is to get an EQDIR module which is essentially a TTL to USB cable, easy to get on ebay. Check the voltage for the mount, its either 3.3v or 5v. Wire it as per the info on EQMOD/EQASCOM website, this is the relevant PDF. Should be a doddle for you! The site is full of info, you need to get EQMOD set up with your location.

Anything that needs to connect to the mount e.g. Carte de Ciel (planetarium for telling the mount where to point), PHD2 should connect to EQASCOM via the 'EQASCOM 5/6' option in the appropriate dialog. In CdC you can set your location to 'Telescope' (type it in) and it will pick it up from EQMOD.

Hope that helps

Duncan

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

One option might be to use EQMod and an EQDir cable and then dispense with the ST4 cable from the camera to the mount and then use pulse guiding in EQMod.

44 minutes ago, dunc said:

First get EQASCOM/EQMOD (same thing sort of). You need a cable to connect your mount to the laptop. Ditch the ST4 cable (camera to mount) as its ancient tech. You can use the serial update cable and handset in PC direct mode but a better option is to get an EQDIR module which is essentially a TTL to USB cable, easy to get on ebay. Check the voltage for the mount, its either 3.3v or 5v. Wire it as per the info on EQMOD/EQASCOM website, this is the relevant PDF. Should be a doddle for you! The site is full of info, you need to get EQMOD set up with your location.

Anything that needs to connect to the mount e.g. Carte de Ciel (planetarium for telling the mount where to point), PHD2 should connect to EQASCOM via the 'EQASCOM 5/6' option in the appropriate dialog. In CdC you can set your location to 'Telescope' (type it in) and it will pick it up from EQMOD.

Hope that helps

Duncan

Thanks both, for your help.

John

3 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

You can make one for a third of the cost of a pre-made cable (sorry FLO!). The most important thing is to get a genuine FTDI USB to RS232 serial adapter. Also, as said above by @dunc check the TTL voltage against the mount specs. 

BTW, APT is a very good piece of software. @Yoddha puts a lot of work into it and listens to all the user feedback! :) 

5 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

1 hour ago, Pompey Monkey said:

You can make one for a third of the cost of a pre-made cable (sorry FLO!). The most important thing is to get a genuine FTDI USB to RS232 serial adapter. Also, as said above by @dunc check the TTL voltage against the mount specs. 

BTW, APT is a very good piece of software. @Yoddha puts a lot of work into it and listens to all the user feedback! :) 

Thanks.  Everyone's very helpful on this site as always.

John

+1 for the lynx astro cable from FLO. I was hesitant at first because of the cost compared to an eBay special, but bit the bullet and its been 100% reliable. Used it with APT/EQMod etc - now using it with INDI for testing. Much better than the bluetooth dongle I was using before which would drop out regularly.

However....

Maybe its just my mount, but I cant get the cable fully screwed into the mount as the screws are too long on it. I meant to ask the question to FLO but forgot. It's solid, just looks wrong - ill try and grab a pic to illustrate. I would have prefered a better connection with better thumb twist screws since I can't leave everything setup.

10 minutes ago, upahill said:

+1 for the lynx astro cable from FLO. I was hesitant at first because of the cost compared to an eBay special, but bit the bullet and its been 100% reliable. Used it with APT/EQMod etc - now using it with INDI for testing. Much better than the bluetooth dongle I was using before which would drop out regularly.

However....

Maybe its just my mount, but I cant get the cable fully screwed into the mount as the screws are too long on it. I meant to ask the question to FLO but forgot. It's solid, just looks wrong - ill try and grab a pic to illustrate. I would have prefered a better connection with better thumb twist screws since I can't leave everything setup.

Thanks.  I had a look at the FLO site for the cable and all the reviews look pretty good.

John

Archived