Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

sky watcher 200P angled terrestrial view

Recently got sky watcher skyliner 200P and trying to get started with it. I wanted to use it for terrestrial (sea) views as well. I was expecting the image to be upside down but instead it is angled/sideways. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with scope or I need to tweak anything to get it right? Appreciate any advice. Thanks. 

10 minutes ago, _gsran said:

Recently got sky watcher skyliner 200P and trying to get started with it. I wasted to use it for terrestrial (sea) views as well. I was expecting the image to be upside down but instead it is angled/sideways. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with scope or I need to tweak anything to get it right? Appreciate any advice. Thanks. 

Hello and welcome to SGL. There is nothing wrong with your telescope. Unless the focuser is horizontal the image in the eyepiece will appear at an angle.

1 hour ago, _gsran said:

Thanks Peter, so how can I have normal terrestrial view, any suggestions? 

Some cheap Newtonian telescopes come with a 20mm erecting eyepiece but the eyepiece is not of good quality and has a narrow field of view. You could try to find one of these on the used market but you will probably find the views are not good.

Unfortunately, the real answer is to buy a different type of telescope that is suited to the task. The options would be a sporting scope designed for terrestrial observation or an astronomical refractor or Maksutov (depending on the field of view you want) with a good erecting prism. 

Archived