Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

_gsran

sky watcher 200P angled terrestrial view

Posted (edited)

Recently got sky watcher skyliner 200P and trying to get started with it. I wanted to use it for terrestrial (sea) views as well. I was expecting the image to be upside down but instead it is angled/sideways. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with scope or I need to tweak anything to get it right? Appreciate any advice. Thanks. 

Edited by _gsran
spelling

10 minutes ago, _gsran said:

Recently got sky watcher skyliner 200P and trying to get started with it. I wasted to use it for terrestrial (sea) views as well. I was expecting the image to be upside down but instead it is angled/sideways. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with scope or I need to tweak anything to get it right? Appreciate any advice. Thanks. 

Hello and welcome to SGL. There is nothing wrong with your telescope. Unless the focuser is horizontal the image in the eyepiece will appear at an angle.

Thanks Peter, so how can I have normal terrestrial view, any suggestions? 

1 hour ago, _gsran said:

Thanks Peter, so how can I have normal terrestrial view, any suggestions? 

Some cheap Newtonian telescopes come with a 20mm erecting eyepiece but the eyepiece is not of good quality and has a narrow field of view. You could try to find one of these on the used market but you will probably find the views are not good.

Unfortunately, the real answer is to buy a different type of telescope that is suited to the task. The options would be a sporting scope designed for terrestrial observation or an astronomical refractor or Maksutov (depending on the field of view you want) with a good erecting prism. 

• Like 1

I really like this telescope. I guess I'll get used to angled views if there is no accessories to fix the issue. Appreciate your help.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kronos831
      So guys after lots of advice reaserching and reading for the last 2 months i ve decided that i m going to either get a Skywatcher 200P(DOB) or a Skywatcher Heritage 130p(DOB) 
      If i get the Dobsonian i ll be using it about once or twice a week (if i have clear skies that is) i ll be taking a taxi to a semi dark sky location(atleast darker than my light polluted neighborhood) about 1.5 km away  so the transportation cost will be close to nothing.I ve heard lots of great reviews about this neat 8" telescope and am tempted to buy it !(its going to be for visual i am aware of the earth's rotation)
      On the other hand the Smaller more portable Version the Heritage 130p is a very neat telescope for its price(i ve heard) Its half the price of the 200p! I ll be taking this out almost every time i get out of the house(for walks or meetings with friends etc) I ve read part of the thread in cloudy nights and it seems like a great telescope! I ve even seen some very nice  pictures with it (i know u need a mount). So what do you think guys? Should i go for the 200p or 130 p? I need the best value for money!
    • By Kronos831
      Hey guys it's me agaiinn. Recently I have been thinking about which telescope i should buy(its going to be my first telescope!!!!!) I have narrowed it down to 2 choices! The Skywatcher explorer 200p and the Skywatcher explorer 200pds
      I just can't seem to chose oneee.
      I want to do Astrophotography and i have heard that the Dual Speed focuser is going to help a lott. can someone please explain how? I m a total newbie and have just begun reading about Astrophotography. 
      On the other hand i ve heard that some eyepiece s will need an extension tube to help them achieve focus (due to the secondary mirror placed closer to the primary) and i really want to see through the telescope my self.I dont know if the extra 140€ that i have to pay to get the focuser and the pds and eq5 (rather than just getting the 200p and eq5 combined ) is worth it .Does it really make that big of a difference?? I hipe somebody can help me

Thanks

-Kronos
    • By Dinglem
      I've decided the Skywatcher dual speed focuser is not up to astrophotography, there's too much play in it, I've tried tightening it up but it still flops about. My sweatheart has asked me what I want for my birthday/xmas presents, as the are very close together I don't mind just the one. So the question is which should I go for, either the Baader Diamond Steeltrack or the Moonlite CR2 dual speed crayford which with the installation kit will be quite a bit more in price.
    • By Major Canis
      Hello,
      I'm currently using the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P reflector telescope with the 10mm and 25mm EPs that came with it. I have been viewing for a while now and think its time I upgraded the eyepieces. My budget is around £500. I'd like to be able to get a range of EPs that will provide me with wide view and higher magnification viewing (a shorter length, longer length and a barlow (or perhaps a powermate but I dont know much about these other than they are seemingly better than barlows - perhaps a little over budget)).
      I enjoy both planetary and DSO viewing though if I had a preference it would be the latter. I wear eyeglasses having astigmatism in both eyes so eye relief is important. I mainly view from rural areas but will sometimes get it out in my rather light polluted back garden, so I am flexible with exit pupil size (the maximum being 31/35mm I reckon).
      There is quite a selection of vendors and I am hoping you folks can help me narrow down my choices with some first hand experience
      Cheers,
      Nathan
    • By bottletopburly
      Decided to put  cooling fans on my newtonians a 200pds and a 130pds ,used a 120mm on the 200 and a 80mm on the 130pds ,i used, Be Quite silent Wings2 fans they  use rifle bearings and are so quite German made, i did the 200 first and was impressed with this make so ordered the same make for the 130 pds it comes with a lead with four wires but only needed neg ang pos so snipped other two out ,  made a disc from plastic and cut out around collimation screws on primary then used velcro to attach to OTA  fitted a 2.1mm  dc socket on to the disc then bought a usb lead  to 2.1mm barrel though i may fit another 2.1mm socket on my power box and use 12v either way it works ,i used a dimmer on the 200pds but it doesnt need it and wouldn't use it again but its fitted now so will leave in place. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.