SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Fireball of April 1969

Cleetus

While most amateurs will point to either the space race of the 1960's, a chance viewing of The Sky at Night, or a book by Patrick Moore as the  spark which ignited their lifetime interest in astronomy, for me it was a rather more spectacular event which occurred fifty years ago this month.

It was a Friday evening in April 1969 when my mother and I settled down to watch television. We lived in a house in Wexford on the south east coast of Ireland. The rear of the house faced east towards the sea - my mother would complain about the east wind coming through the gaps in the windows! The evening of 25th April was anything but draughty. Perfectly still and more than a hint that summer was on the way. The living room's window also faced east and it was this room that contained the tv.

Not long after we settled down we were startled to hear a whooshing, hissing sound coming from outside and we both ran out to the garden where we saw a spectacular fireball hurtling across the twilight sky in a northerly direction. To me it appeared to be about the size of the full moon made up of all the colours of the rainbow with bits seeming to fall away. It was this event that started me off on the long road to astronomy and, sadly, I have never seen anything quite like it again despite all the years of looking up. Cannot believe fifty years have passed. Anyone else see it? 

Here's a link.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1970JBAA...80..313H

Edited by Cleetus
Bad grammar
  • Like 9

Yes i saw it from Preston , Lancs.I was sitting on the doorstep of my parents house when i saw the fireball travel from left to right across the bottom of the street...i now know heading in the direction of Ireland.Amazing sight i have never forgotten and reinforced my interest at the age of 12 of all things Space related..Mainly at that time of course the moon landings!.Recently took early retirement and I'm in the process of putting a rig together, that i promised myself, along with a little observatory in my garden...it keeps evolving and lightening my wallet!...i love it.Getting my grandkids interested now which is great fun.

• Like 2

Guest chaz2b

Living in Somerset, I could have seen it, but it was around 9.20 ish when it steamed by. I was 10 years old then, so at that time I would have been “ up timber hill “ as dad would say, and in the land of nod!

shame , as I’m sure I would have been terrified at such a sight! Lucky you.

chaz

I'd only have been two years old, but living (not far from the track shown in that linked document) in south Wales at the time, so it'll have to count as a missed opportunity :)

James

21 hours ago, Cleetus said:

………………………………..   It was a Friday evening in April 1969 …………………………………………. we saw a spectacular fireball hurtling in a northern direction. ............….It was this event that started me off on the long road to astronomy and, sadly, I have never seen anything quite like it again despite all the years of looking up. Cannot believe fifty years have passed. Anyone else see it? 

Here's a link.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1970JBAA...80..313H

Not that one, but mine is an almost identical story which took place around 1964 in Los Angeles, where I witnessed a fireball streaking across the sky towards the west, and actually over the Griffith Park Observatory in the distance. I've posted about this before, and its what got me interested in Astronomy.

I was ten years old in 1969. We were playing football on the green in Finchley, North London around that time. I remember seeing a fireball at twilight. Always wondered about it. What it could have been. I started reading about astronomy. Then realised that it could have been a bolide. It may well have been this event. 

Never heard of it being fererred but to as the great fireball of 1969. Thanks for posting. 

Edited by Guest
Spelling mistake.