Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece set thoughts (field of view Calculator shown)

Mike_S

Hi,

I now have a mixture of ES 82 degrees, Myriad 100/110 degrees and Pentax XW. Just working out how to complete my set, which to keep and which to sell. I’m comfortable with all of them but just wondering on your thoughts, which do you think you would prefer?

scope is a 10 inch F4.7 manual dob.

the first set is assuming an APM Lunt 7mm comes out as I heard it is this year.  

The three sets are.

1. Mixture of ES 82 degrees and Myriad/APM Lunt

2. Compete ES 82 degrees set.

3. Mixture of ES 82 degrees and Pentax XW. 

Thanks.

A17D06F1-1A68-48A6-98FA-15BD99691B0D.png

C635CB36-1FE2-49CB-AC0F-9E1CB40458CF.png

13EB18C8-D863-4914-9398-CC6AB839A6C1.png

I chose my eyepiece set based on exit pupil. I found that 5mm, 2mm, 1mm, and 0.7mm works for me. The Lunt/APM 100 are a great affordable option. :)

Said this, I'd be completely happy with a fix focal length giving approx 5mm exit pupil and a zoom +/- Barlow for the rest.

Edited by Piero
  • Like 2

On 27/04/2019 at 17:05, MSammon said:

which do you think you would prefer?

The XW and nothing else because of my strong astigmatism in my observing eye.

I'd probably go with the 30mm ES-82 (original mushroom top has enough eye relief for glasses), 22mm Nagler T4, 17mm ES-92 (though these two sort of overlap in actual field), 12mm ES-92, 9mm Morpheus, 5mm Pentax XW (or used 5.2mm XL), and 3.5mm Pentax XW.

• Like 1

On 29/04/2019 at 14:28, MSammon said:

Is that because of eye relief yea?

Indirectly because of eye relief, directly because of strong astigmatism in my observing eye.  That is, if not for my astigmatism, I wouldn't really have a need for such long eye relief across all of my eyepieces.  Even at 1mm exit pupil, I still see an improvement with eyeglasses.  It's also nice because I pretty much never have to clean my eye lenses.  Alright, about every 5 or 10 years I do clean them thoroughly depending on the eyepiece due to atmospheric gunk settling on them while uncapped.

• Like 1