Milkyway over Porthcawl, South Wales

Nice shot.

That's not the horrifying light dome of Minehead over the water, is it?  The orientation of the Milky Way and the Coathanger suggest to me that you're facing south east-ish, but I'm not sure if it's perhaps far around enough to be Barry and Cardiff.  I know it's possible to see the opposite coast across that way, but I'm quite (unpleasantly) surprised the light dome is so obvious if it is Minehead.

James

Exactly what Bingevader said, it does go to show how much light pollution is in that area, a lot of it coming from the left is the local caravan park with some huge spotlights that are switched on 24/7. You could try and edit it out but i prefer to keep it as natural as possible. Thanks for the comments.  

Ah, yes, WSM shouldn't surprise me.  When there's enough moisture in the air and cloud to the north west I reckon I can see its light dome from here and that's with the Quantocks in the way :(

James

1 hour ago, Captain Magenta said:

Very nice. It's amazing how the Coathanger stands out in pictures like these. I'm guessing it was taken around 4 in the morning? The bright dot would be Jupiter, and Saturn would be exactly behind the lighthouse...

Cheers, Magnus

Thanks Magnus, exactly 4am actually.

Archived