Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AR2738 - A Hazy Ha Close Up

PhotoGav

I'm amazed to have got anything out of the data I captured yesterday of AR 2738 as the seeing was pants. Focusing this on the laptop screen was like looking at something on the bottom of a swimming pool and trying to work out what the heck it was! Shot with a Thomas Cooke 10" refractor (made in 1860), a Daystar University Ha filter and a Chameleon3 camera. I've added a pic of the scope in action too. Oh for decent seeing...!

2019-04-11_Sol-10in-HaCu-05.thumb.png.ad9b13d37983334e96b0c8d6010b56cb.png

IMG_8290.thumb.JPG.337c3bd379b1db88561e390f0811e0f5.JPG

Thank you folks. Yes, it is always an honour to use that telescope, however much of a pig it is! The focuser is awful, especially at that kind of resolution. It’s the most clunky painful thing! Worth the trouble though. I helped run a Messier Marathon attempt at the observatory last month (we scored 68/110 - fairly happy! It clouded over.), the views of M104 the Sombrero Galaxy, M13 the Great Hercules Cluster and M51, to name just a few highlights, were just stunning. The mount is wobbly and backlash hell, so unfortunately I won’t be doing any long exposure DSO stuff with the scope!

Archived