Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PHD2 Polar Alignment

groberts

My main viewing / imaging location is on the patio looking south - it's convenient (just outside the back door) and over much of the year provides a reasonable view of the southern sky, except for hedges, trees and houses but I manage.  My real problem from this location however has long been Polar Alignment, as from this point the northern sky is completely obscured by my house!  After trying a number of methods I've found the Drift Alignment function in PHD2 works quite well and it has become my go to solution for the aforementioned problem.

However, during the upcoming Spring + Summer period I now want to move my set-up to the end of the garden from which I can see parts of the north sky, over the roof of my house, sufficient to at least attempt to image some of the classics like the Heart & Soul Nebula, Elephant's Trunk etc.  I would like to continue to use the PHD2 Drift Alignment function from this location but, as I currently use it looking south, a view of close to the Celestial  Equator for Dec adjustment and East or West Horizons for RA adjustment is required  and from the new location I can see neither.  Is there any way I can use the PHD2 Drift Align function looking north, giving the aforementioned problems, and if so how do I adapt the method?  If not what would be the best / easiest alternative?    

Thanks, Graham

If you have the latest version of PHD2 there are two polar align routines that use the celestial pole:

Polar Drift Align and Static Polar Align.

PDA works for me as it doesn't require stars to be identified but SPA is said to be more accurate if your guide camera fov will allow it, mine won't.

5 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

As above but to use the drift tool you need to point south, then east or west for the DEC 

Thanks, this confirms my thoughts, so I guess it'll have to be the PDA or SPA. 

49 minutes ago, almcl said:

If you have the latest version of PHD2 there are two polar align routines that use the celestial pole:

Polar Drift Align and Static Polar Align.

PDA works for me as it doesn't require stars to be identified but SPA is said to be more accurate if your guide camera fov will allow it, mine won't.

I'm currently using a Lodestar X2 guide camera but not sure if this will provide the desired FOV mentioned?

While pointing North, will you be able to see Polaris?

If yes, try to do it manually... just don't touch ALT bolt as you have already adjusted it with drift alignment while imaging South and you do not move mount overseas, so ALT will be OK.

Also, just FYI, SharpCap has Polar Alignment Routine (but do not remember if it available while using Free version). With SharpCap you can even use your Main Camera and scope for PA, - to get a better accuracy. 

Thanks Roland, I think I might be able to see Polaris and manual as step-1 is probably the way to go but was hoping PHD2 process might refine the finbal outcome.  Will take a look at SharpCap. 

Graham

Can see the Meridian but nothing of the Celestial Equator, which is of course to the south + no westerly horizon at all (15ft hedge in the way!) and a bit of the eastern horizon at about 40 degrees. 

Archived