Waiting for the clouds to clear

Littleguy80

I knew my local dark site would be opening up last night but none of the forecasts gave me a huge amount of confidence that the sky would clear. I eventually decided to take a chance, packed up the car and headed out. For the first time in months, it wasn't totally dark when I arrived. After setting up, I noticed some thin cloud around but conditions were good enough for some observing. I started with the open cluster in M67. One benefit of arriving ahead of astronomical darkness was that I didn't feel rushed. I took my time and studied the cluster. I enjoy trying to find red giants among open clusters as means of looking deeper into them. Conditions worsened and a thin layer of cloud covered the sky. Undeterred, I spent time trying to split Theta Auriga. The seeing wasn't good but at 300x I felt sure I was seeing a pair of stars. I moved over to Orion for a look at M42. Already very low, the seeing was very wobbly but good to get a final look before summer. Despite the conditions, the nebula still had a green tint to my eye. I went on to split Sigma Orionis although I couldn't pick out the fourth star which is normally quite an easy spot in the dob.

Looking over to Hydra, I noticed the sky's looked a bit better. I soon had the Ghost of Jupiter, NGC3242, in the eyepiece. First time this year. I added the Astronomik OIII filter and pushed the magnification to 200x. I was now able to see differences in brightness across the disc of the nebula. I'm getting better at taking my time with objects and finding small details within them. I looked up and all the cloud had disappeared and the skies were looking much better. In Gemini, I observed another planetary nebula, NGC2371. A nice double lobed nebula which I'd enjoyed from home earlier in the week. Inspired by @Mark at Beaufort's report. I next observed the planetary nebeula, IC2149. It's very small and I needed SkySafari to confirm I was looking at the right thing. I increased power and it became more obviously non stellar. I was still using the OIII filter. I now tried my luck with the Medusa Nebula. I spent some time matching up stars in the eyepiece to SkySafari. Then I experimented with different eyepieces. I thought I was detecting it but it wasn't a clear observation. For a final throw of the dice, I swapped the Astronomik OIII for the Lumicon OIII. Past experience has led me to prefer the Lumicon for picking out fainter targets. It gives greater contrast than the Astronomik but also gives an overall darker image. It was still very faint but there definitely appeared to be a small curving section of nebulosity.

Time was running short before the site was due to be closed so I decided to observe some galaxies. NGC2403 in Camelopardalis had impressed from home and was event better under dark skies. A galactic glow with a number of bright stars within it. Next was the Whale Galaxy, NGC4361. Using my trusty 9mm BGO, I was also able to pick out it's tiny companion galaxy, NGC4627. I found the hockey stick, NGC4656, too. I dropped back down to my 20mm eyepiece so I could enjoy both the Whale and Hockey stick in the same FOV. I had another failed attempt at seeing the Antennae galaxies. With my 9mm BGO, I could have just about talked myself into seeing them but wasn't satisfied enough to call it an observation. It was now time to pack up but I couldn't resist a final observation. M64, the Black Eye Galaxy, made an excellent finale. I increased magnification so I could observer the eye. I'm not sure that I've properly observed this before. I headed home pleased with my decision to come out.

We are arriving at that period when it is possible to reach a dark site whilst still in the light and take some time to set up. I quite like watching the sun set and glimpsing the first stars that suddenly appear. Good that you got some decent conditions Neil and an interesting mix of subjects to observe. Some fine planetary nebulae's, I too might give that very small one IC149 a go sometime, interesting account of this and that aspect you might have got for the Medusa. It can be seen as quite a large but very faint haze, as you imply gaining contrast is highly applicable for this. I was hoping for a potential weekend to get somewhere, bright hazy sunshine today but it is going to cloud in later.    

47 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

We are arriving at that period when it is possible to reach a dark site whilst still in the light and take some time to set up. I quite like watching the sun set and glimpsing the first stars that suddenly appear. Good that you got some decent conditions Neil and an interesting mix of subjects to observe. Some fine planetary nebulae's, I too might give that very small one IC149 a go sometime, interesting account of this and that aspect you might have got for the Medusa. It can be seen as quite a large but very faint haze, as you imply gaining contrast is highly applicable for this. I was hoping for a potential weekend to get somewhere, bright hazy sunshine today but it is going to cloud in later.    

Thanks Iain. It’s nice to have a more relaxed start to the session. I remember last year, we have Venus around in the early evening which was ideal for aligning finders and giving some nice early views. 

The Medusa nebula was very tricky. I was definitely questioning whether I had it or not until I got a sense of some shape. I think it will take a few revisits to get a more comfortable observation. 

I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the weather improves so you can get a session in!

Hi Neil

The Medusa is quite a challenge at first and I'll have to look at my notes but can remember it's bigger than what you think it will be.

Way dimmer than the rosette thinking back. Not sure which filter I was using though. 

On 08/04/2019 at 17:39, alan potts said:

Very nice report Neil, I made the mistake of buying some stuff from FLO, it hasn't arrived yet but the dam clouds have, putting pay to 6 on the trott.

Alan

Thanks Alan. An order to FLO is sure to bring clouds ;) 

8 hours ago, mapstar said:

Hi Neil

The Medusa is quite a challenge at first and I'll have to look at my notes but can remember it's bigger than what you think it will be.

Way dimmer than the rosette thinking back. Not sure which filter I was using though. 

It’s definitely one of those targets that you checking all the Atlases to make sure there hasn’t been a mistake! I remember struggling with the California Nebula the first time around and now it seems quite easy. 

Archived