Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light: Astro Professional 102ED

RichieJarvis

As some of you know, the original 102ED that I had exhibited some worrying artifacts when imaging. I am pleased to report that Richard Best of South Downs Astronomy did an excellent job, and had the scope switched out, despite it being reduced as shop-soiled. The replacement unit arrived today with the following notes from the Astro Professional distributor:

We changed the optics and made a star test, even we changed the focuser and the case against a much better version 2

I am very happy to report that the Astro Professional 102ED has seen first light tonight, and was kept free from dew by my new 'blinky' dew heater :hello2:

These 2 images through the AP 102ED using an SXV-H9 and an Ha filter on Gamma Cassiopeia - the exposure was 0.5 seconds.

10347_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

10349_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

As you can hopefully see, the image artifacts have gone, and the disk edges are clean. This is much more like it!

Visually, stars look crisp and clean, with beautiful colours.

I then focused the scope on Gamma Cassiopeia, with the resulting image. Maxim recorded a FWHM value of 1.67 through the Ha filter for a 0.5 second exposure.

10350_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Focusing was a joy with the new focus unit - its a dual speed 1/10 unit, and feels very well engineered. Bringing the FWHM values down was a very easy task with this unit.

I then swung the scope round to have a go at my favourite target of the moment - NGC7635, the Bubble Nebula. Here is a single 20 minute Ha sub - as you can see, the scope is producing a nice flat field with the SXV-H9, and the contrast is excellent. This image has been stretched to show the nebulousity in the Bubble - no other processing has been applied.

10351_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I ended up taking 3 x 20 second exposures in Ha, and 3 x 20 second exposures in OIII, to produce the image below:

10352_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Conclusion: Astro Professional have produced a lovely 4" scope here, easy to focus, easy to use for imaging, nice for visual use.

I know thats comparing a doublet with a triplet, but even so, thats double the curvature!

The third element is not normally used as a field flattener but to improve colour correction, and it is normal when using telescopes of this type to need a separate field flattener when using a DSLR or other large sensor.

The H9 is an excellent match for refractors like yours and Steve's, as both your images demonstrate :)

• 3 years later...

Hi

I hope I'm not highjacking thread, I plan to buy exactly this scope.

For visual use (for now) is it necesary this this field flatener?

Thanks

The thread is nearly 4 years old so I don't think anyone will object !

You won't need a flattener for visual use. You might for imaging but I'm no imager.

Archived