Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light Sw 72 Ed and L rgb filters. (sort of redo. HELP )

simmo39

Hi, well A few months ago I bite the bullet and got my self a SW 72 Ed pro and some L rgb filters. I got the scope as a companion to my SW 130 pds and the filters were just because it was coming up to galaxy season. I have been doing a little narrow band stuff with the  SW 130 and thought that L rgb would be easy to do after narrow band, but how wrong i was! here is my go at M81 / M82 . Im impressed with the 72 ED but as for the processing of LRGB data im really pulling what little hair I have left out. Anyway to the boring stuff:

L 60 x 120s at unity gain

RGB x 120 s at unity gain

40551145673_5f136d1ea3_b.jpg 

Hints and tips on L rgb would be really welcome.

Thanks for looking

Hi Simmo

The detail is great, even on the little galaxy on top right, but the background is really red.  I just ran it through Gradient Xterminator to balance the colour of the background, and dropped the levels down to a lower level.  I'm like you though, looking for help with LRGB imaging

image.png.159679c400be750b9e8df5a65ce64f99.png

14 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Hi Simmo

The detail is great, even on the little galaxy on top right, but the background is really red.  I just ran it through Gradient Xterminator to balance the colour of the background, and dropped the levels down to a lower level.  I'm like you though, looking for help with LRGB imaging

image.png.159679c400be750b9e8df5a65ce64f99.png

Wow that has made such a big difference Thank you. I havent got Gradient Exterminator but will have to see if I can do it in PI.

Not easy to do LRGB broadband and for a first go that aint bad. I think slightly over saturated overall and a little background colour cast, presumably from a bit of LP, but all pretty easy tweaks to do.....great job :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, peter shah said:

Not easy to do LRGB broadband and for a first go that aint bad. I think slightly over saturated overall and a little background colour cast, presumably from a bit of LP, but all pretty easy tweaks to do.....great job :thumbsup:

Thank you, I think I just need to keep at it. I will not let it beat me! well tonite it was but wil try again tomorrow. lol

Well i have been playing some more but for the life of me i cant get the Lum data to work for me, every time  I try and add it the images losses what little colour I had. In the end I got my best result by using just RGB. I think using this little scope on this target didnt help as it was bought for big nebula not galaxies but there are a lack of them about. Anyway is this any better?  i think so but welcome some in put and thoughts on the Lum problem.

32585360227_d28e7da2fb_b.jpg

Thanks for looking again!

That is a SIGNIFICANT improvment.  The colour looks a little washed out in M82, especially the reds.  But that is a terrific image for what, as you say, isnt a scope designed for imaging galaxies!

The Luminance image is probably a lot brighter than the individual RGB images so it is swamping all the colour data if you simply combine it.

If you are using PI then take a look at using the Linear Fit process and selecting the luminance image as the reference and then applying it to the RGB image (s).  Then use the LRGB combine process but only select the Luminance image and dropping the little triangle on the RGB image.  Hope that makes sense.

4 hours ago, wornish said:

The Luminance image is probably a lot brighter than the individual RGB images so it is swamping all the colour data if you simply combine it.

If you are using PI then take a look at using the Linear Fit process and selecting the luminance image as the reference and then applying it to the RGB image (s).  Then use the LRGB combine process but only select the Luminance image and dropping the little triangle on the RGB image.  Hope that makes sense.

Hi and thanks. I think I  have got it! see next post to see result.

I think I have it sorted, Not easy and not sure if I would get it again! lol but here it is.

46806393094_a12a031906_b.jpg

Feel I have done some justice to the data. Not brilliant but a good step forward. Thanks to you all for the pointers.

Archived