Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Go-to not finding M101

smr

Hi,

I had this problem previously with M101 in my first imaging session. I did a two star alignment then and it wasn't in the frame, so I had to do some trial and error before getting it in the frame and then centred.

Tonight I had the same problem not being able to see it in any subs after star alignment, so instead of a 2 star alignment I did a 3 star alignment, capella, betelgeuse and dubhe. Still didn't find M101.

I have looked at a sub from the previous time I imaged it so I know that the Go-to hasn't found it properly as the stars don't correlate - and tried increasing ISO to see if I can see it.

I don't have trouble finding other objects. Is this a thing with M101, is there an alternative way of finding it ?

Hi,

I had these sort of problems when I first got my NEQ6 mount.
I don't know why but do you know what works best for me, and as a result, my Go-To is spot on?
One Star Alignment.
I always ensure ensure my mount is Polar Aligned as accurate as possible, and then do the One Star Alignment.
Might be worth a try.

Regards,

Steve

36 minutes ago, PembrokeSteve said:

Hi,

I had these sort of problems when I first got my NEQ6 mount.
I don't know why but do you know what works best for me, and as a result, my Go-To is spot on?
One Star Alignment.
I always ensure ensure my mount is Polar Aligned as accurate as possible, and then do the One Star Alignment.
Might be worth a try.

Regards,

Steve

Same here.  If you are imaging,  just do a one star align on a nearby bright star and the GoTo then usually works well enough to get your target on chip first time.  If you are using EQMOD clear out the memory of previous targets as I found they just led to cumulative errors.

Thanks I will try one star alignment then! Contrary hobby this is! I am sure I read people saying 3 star align for most accurate imaging go to etc. then you read your comments!

Will try it next time we have clear skies, so probably in May!

2 hours ago, smr said:

Thanks I will try one star alignment then! Contrary hobby this is! I am sure I read people saying 3 star align for most accurate imaging go to etc. then you read your comments!

Will try it next time we have clear skies, so probably in May!

Just make sure that your polar aligmment is spot on. If it isn't, you can use the synscan all star polar alignment routine. Two itterations should do the trick.

Not sure what software your using but you could also try Platesolving. I use APT (astro Photography Tool) and use the Pointcraft button to platesolve. I takes a short exposure and by compairing the stars in the image it knows how far off the target is, then it slews the scope to within a few pixels of the intended target. I never knew about this until recently but it's absolutley amazing.

2 hours ago, smr said:

A one star alignment may not give you accurate  goto over the whole sky, but objects close to Alkaid such as M101 will be fine.

Michael 

After doing a 1-, 2-, or 3-star alignment, you can use the pointing accuracy enhancement (I believe it's called) of the synscan. You point to a bright star near your target, and do an additional alignment. Then you point to your target. It should now be in view. If you only have this problem near M101, you should check your mount for cable snag or something bumping into a tripod leg, ie hardware problems.

If you don't have apt, but a computer nearby, you can take one image and upload it to astrometry.net for a plate solve.

Archived