Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eagle Eye Needed

Hi all, I live in an area with a lot of light pollution so I'm unsure what the milky way looks like first hand, I have a caravan in Bewdley with is just on the edge of a orange zone bortal 4, so not too bad, I took my dslr there and took a 15" picture, I can't tell if the milky way is visible or if it's just my hopes leaking into my eyes. The camera was aimed right under Cassiopeia so the milky way should be in the middle of frame. Can anyone else see it? Thanks, Arran.

IMG_1759.zip

IMG_1759.JPG

I can see it but as you say it is faint.  Can you do longer exposures next time, I did that from a Bortle 4 location and got this:

This is a stack of 7 stacked exposures of 1min each.  Of course you'll need some sort of tracker to do this.  I did this with an Ioptron Skytracker. 

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, carastro said:

I can see it but as you say it is faint.  Can you do longer exposures next time, I did that from a Bortle 4 location and got this:

This is a stack of 7 stacked exposures of 1min each.  Of course you'll need some sort of tracker to do this.  I did this with an Ioptron Skytracker. 

spacer.png

Thanks for showing your results with me, I have build a barn door tracker which works well, I shall have to use it next time. Do you have any more examples of bottle 4 images?

10 minutes ago, carastro said:

Yes on my website.  I do most imaging at a campsite in Bortle 4, and imaging from home when I can;t get there (mainly in the winter at Bortle 8).  Most of these are done using dedicated astro equipment. 

https://sites.google.com/site/caroleastroimaging/home

I've just had a look at your website, the images you've taken in bortle 8 are simply amazing, the colours look brilliant. For some reason when I process my images in photoshop I can't get any colour in my images at all.

I've just had a look at your website, the images you've taken in bortle 8 are simply amazing, the colours look brilliant. For some reason when I process my images in photoshop I can't get any colour in my images at all.

I have just been through helping another member who was having problems with colour.  It turned out in the end to be his method of stacking in DSS on a Mac in Windows Mode.  Took us a while to fathom this out.  When he installed DSS onto a Windows laptop, he managed to get colour.  Just in case it was a similar problem.

Carole 

Archived