Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

digicam control alternative?

TheMan

According to the APT support table for Nikon, the D5000 requires a shutter release button to control bulb exposures - it can't be done solely via software:

"Needs RS232 (serial) cable or DSUSB controller to control Bulb exposures" 

See APT Nikon DSLR models matrix for more info. Perhaps have a look at APT for astrophotography DSLR camera control when you do get a cable - it has some neat features. 

Ady

53 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

It's not free, but there is Backyard Nikon https://www.otelescope.com/store/category/4-backyardnikon/  I use the Canon variant, & it does what it says on the tin....

Just to be clear, whilst BYN is a reasonable recommendation for astro dslr control software, it is my understanding that none of the dslr control software can overcome the limitation on bulb exposures for the Nikon being discussed without a cable. 

I'm happy to stand corrected if anyone has actually found something that works, but in the absence of that the OP's working assumption should be that he needs a cable. 

The Nikon matrix on APT links to instructions on how to make your own, if you are that way inclined... 

Ady

I may be wrong, but for the Canon's, the 'cable' is the USB lead that links the computer to the camera, i.e. your DSUSB lead. If it actually requires a USB to serial adaptor, these can be easily made up from parts found on eBay for a few pounds (£10'ish).

7 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

If it actually requires a USB to serial adaptor, these can be easily made up from parts found on eBay for a few pounds

That seems like a reasonable solution. Do you know how I would go about doing that?

Do you use a USB to camera lead to download pictures ?  If so you already have a suitable lead, as it should also be possible to control the camera, through the lead, with appropriate software, e.g. something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-DATA-CABLE-LEAD-FOR-Digital-Camera-Nikon-D7200-PHOTO-TO-PC-MAC/401403750629?epid=2241427394&hash=item5d758728e5:g:NwIAAOSwILFZuTfa.

Yes I do have that cable. Digicamcontrol doesn't support bulb mode, it only supports 30s exposures on time lapse mode. But would something like stellarmate be able to control it?

So you have all the hardware, to give you what you require, its' just that the software is limited in what it can provide ?  if so, then the BackYard NIkon software, should overcome the limitations.

1 hour ago, stash_old said:

It might have changed but Indi did not support Bulb on Nikon camera's - quote from Gphoto "Nikon DSLR: We do not know how to do Bulb capture yet"

Hehehe - unless you've owned one of the early-model Nikon, you can't really appreciate what a pain they can be. I've got a D3200 that cannot be controlled by astro software AT ALL... ? 

23 hours ago, stash_old said:

"Nikon DSLR: We do not know how to do Bulb capture yet"

Looks like I might have to bite the bullet and get the BSUSB from shoestring astronomy.

The Nikon D5000 requires 2 cables for astro use.

1 For the picture download and for Live view on PC screen (standard Nikon USB lead)

2 The DSUSB lead (or equivalent) to control the shutter in Bulb Mode.

You will need to use 2 separate USB ports.

It's the same as the Nikon D90.

BYN will easily control it when connected as above... it's what I use.

Hope this helps.

22 hours ago, adyj1 said:

Hehehe - unless you've owned one of the early-model Nikon, you can't really appreciate what a pain they can be. I've got a D3200 that cannot be controlled by astro software AT ALL... ? 

That's odd. I've got a D3100 and a D3400, both of which can be controlled by DigiCamControl. The D3200 is listed under their supported cameras Connection is via the normal USB cable for those, and may also be for the D5000. The manual says it can use one for image transfer to a PC

I've yet to try it, but libgphoto2 for Linux also lists them as supported cameras

DigiCamControl also has an astronomy mode that should allow captures of more than 30 seconds. I only experiemented with it briefly when checking for another post about a month ago

image.thumb.png.fc7cf289a09bfff8980184b0a722585f.png

Unfortunately that is not the case.

The D5000 is the same as the D90 as far as connections are required... I have both of these cameras here.

Neither of them can control the shutter via the normal USB download cable... this is only usable for transferring pictures or live view (for focusing) to PC.

The shutters require a separate connection via the DSUSB cable. (or equivalent)

13 minutes ago, Mognet said:

That's odd. I've got a D3100 and a D3400, both of which can be controlled by DigiCamControl. The D3200 is listed under their supported cameras Connection is via the normal USB cable for those, and may also be for the D5000. The manual says it can use one for image transfer to a PC

I'll take a look at that - thanks for the tip. Maybe Digicamcontrol will do, I'll give it a go. 

It is a shame that Nikon never released the necessary info to let APT support it ? 

Ady

10 minutes ago, Lonestar70 said:

Unfortunately that is not the case.

The D5000 is the same as the D90 as far as connections are required... I have both of these cameras here.

Neither of them can control the shutter via the normal USB download cable... this is only usable for transferring pictures or live view (for focusing) to PC.

The shutters require a separate connection via the DSUSB cable. (or equivalent)

There goes that idea! It does seem different from the others. The D3100 also has a MC-DC2 port which takes my intervalometer, but it does allow USB control too. It was released about a year later than the D5000, so they may have changed things in that time

Archived