NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M63 with 100mm refractor

AbsolutelyN

I think I'm going to have to get out the 8" reflector for galaxies but I thought I'd have a go at M63 under last nights clear skies with my Esprit 100 which was already setup. This is about 40min each for RGB and 3.3 hours for L with ZWO1600pro. 

m63.jpg

You know what... that’s a really lovely field of view! Do you really need the 8” to get in closer? I was taking some framing shots of various potential galaxy targets with my 8” last night and, yes they are in close and filling the frame, but the field of view with the Esprit 100 (such a lovely scope!) has a different look, putting these targets into perspective with their wider environment. This shot works because of the small galaxies dotted about the rest of the frame. Good work!

You're right, it's really nice to see a wider view to give more context and that's kind of why I went with the Esprit 100. I'm quite amazed how much detail you can get from what is really a rather small aperture. I've just never used the 8" for deep sky astrophotography so with so many small targets coming into view its very tempting to give it a go. Slightly worried guiding will be too demanding though as still very new to this.  

Lovely image, great detail.  I do like to see the galaxies in a wide field context.  There's plenty of targets coming up that'll look great with this combo, M81 and M82, Leo Triplet and Markarian's Chain to name the most obvious.

Dave

I agree with the comments above.  For me, the field of view is wide enough to give a lovely context to the image, but narrow enough to show lovely details in the galaxy itself.

7 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

You know what... that’s a really lovely field of view! Do you really need the 8” to get in closer? I was taking some framing shots of various potential galaxy targets with my 8” last night and, yes they are in close and filling the frame, but the field of view with the Esprit 100 (such a lovely scope!) has a different look, putting these targets into perspective with their wider environment. This shot works because of the small galaxies dotted about the rest of the frame. Good work!

Exactly this!  Beautiful work.

Archived