Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Why is it cloudy...

Steve922

Well, the moon was kind of shinig through the cloud about a half hour a go so I went out to try out my new binos (which are great, BTW) and then the stars came out to play, so I'm getting togged up now to go out and look.

:-)

Steve

Ah well, that didn't last long. By the time I was kitted out and ready to observe, the clouds were back. After they spent another half hour getting thicker, I gave up!

A bit frustrating.

I wonder if my garden is big enough to build a radio telescope?

Steve

Maybe I can comfort you as bit, I'm learning new things about the weather where I just moved. This is my first winter here and clouds is just one of few problems...

- When it's clear in the Capitol of Norway (Oslo) The fog is so thick here (just 20 minutes by car) you can eat it with a spoon. When it is clear it is Windy prohbiting use of the newtonian and even causing problems for two small refractors. Did it help any?

I could rub it in and say that I finally "got lucky" and have a guide star locked and are on my second hour of exposures of the horse head .-)

Well, tonights experience just about takes the biscuit. When I arrived home at around 10:30 p.m. the sky was clear, the first clear night since I bought my binoculars.

At last! Got togged up for a nice long session, clothes, flask, maps, etc. and what happens? By the time I got out there, a good half-hour later there wasn't a star in the sky. The clouds were even hiding the moon. I gave it an hour or so, during which I caught s few scatterings of stars through the variable, sometimes patchy clouds and perhaps 5 minutes worth of moon. :-(

This is beginning to get a bit frustrating. :-)

Steve

Archived