NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

a lil advice on scope choice

Ok so I've been watching the sky with a pair of 10x50 binos for a while learning the constellations and thought it was time I moved up to using a scope so I can see more.

Had quite a stroke of luck in that i've foudn I might be able to afford a Celestron Onmi XLT 150 which looks like a scope that i'd be able to use for several years without trouble.

Mostly looking to look at stars/clusters and other deep field objects. Do watch the moon atm, but on the whole the planets arent something that really grab my interest yet so i'm thinking that a reflector will be better than a refractor.

What do people think and what advice can anyone give me?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL.

Thats a good scope you have picked and will indeed serve you very well.

For a little bit more you could go for the 250P dobsonian. Those 4 extra inches will show you alot more DSO's. But of course it's slightly bigger to use and store.

I personally prefer the dob to a GEM mount as it's so much easier to set up and use.

But finally the choice is yours and I'm sure you will be happy with what ever you pick.

Ease of use will be a key factor, as will weight i suppose eventually. Have a knacked right hip & 2 discs in my lubar spine are shot with arthritis but trying not to let them stop me from doing something i've always wanted to do since i was about 4 (just to clarify i'm 25 now, yeah i know unlucky but hey)

Not really sure on how the different mounts out there will affect how i view things so i'm open to any suggestions, it just seemed that was a scope i could be happy with for 5/6 years without thinking i need to get another. Its a lot of money for me at the moment but can just afford around £300 as a total maximum cost for the scope.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Dobs can be very cumbersome to move. So maybe with second thoughts your first choice might be better suited.

But checkout skywatcher as well. Click on the First light Optics logo at the top off this page and have a browse through the shop.

A good guy to ask for advice would be Ian Candler, a regular on these boards. He's got back problems and has written a few guides for people in a similar position, with regards to mobility and ease of use.

Astronomy for the disabled

Personally if size and weight are an issue, maybe a Mak scope would be better suited to your needs. They're small and light with pretty large lenses/mirrors. Here's one for £265:

Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak

With one of those it would only require a couple of trips outside to setup. One for the tripod and one for the scope, dividing the weight between two journeys.

HTH

Mark

Meh not really disabled, just have few small problems and at the moment weight isnt that great an issue for me. It just might become an issue several years down the line. For me at the present the biggest problem I have with my back is bending. I cant bend down very well or far, so ideally i'm gonna need the eyepiece as near to standing up eye level as possible (i'm about 5'11") Or i'm gonna be sitting down all the time, something i'd rather avoid.

Meh suppose there are a lot more things I'm gonna have to think about first then before settling on a scope. Good job I thought to ask first

Here's a tripod that might be useful for you:

Vanguard 1880

It extends to over six feet, so hopefully that'll mean less bending of the spine for you. However at maximum extension it will be less stable. I have a very similar tripod that I use with my 80mm refractor with very good results.

You could then get something like this:

Startravel 102

I know it's a refractor, but for ease of use they're hard to beat and a 102mm has pretty good light grab.

Alternatively it might be worth visiting your local astronomy shop, or meeting up with one of your local clubs. That way you could check out their scopes and see how comfortable they are to use or move.

Cheers

Mark

I would avoid reflectors due to the bending around to get to the eyepiece, that and the weight of the CG5 are the only considerations IMO.

I myself find sitting to look through an eyepiece comfortable, and something I can do even with my scopes on a CG5.

Refractors are a real bonus as they are very easy to use from a sitting position, as are maksutov's and sct's.

Well with a little hunting (don't you love google) i've found a local gathering, so I think that I'm gonna go and take a look and see what happens. Usually not one for gatherings really but I ought to give it a go so that I can at least speak to others and see how they handle their scopes.

Thanks for the help folks :hello2: Will keep you updated about how it goes and what gets decided.

Hi, I've been looking for a scope for a while and had my sights set on a nexstar 6 . Then I saw this come up on e-bay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220309508836

and I wondered what everyone's thoughts were - it seems to have a lot of kit but is also a little "cheap" for what it should be. I am also attracted by the go to on the nexstar 6 and the motor drive and go to (if there is one) on this c8 seems a bit old? If anyone knows anymore about these scopes please feel free to give me some advice.

Thanks in advance

It's cheap because it's old - at least ten years old, by my reckoning. Those mounts are a bit funny too, I don't think you can do much to alter the height of the tripod. However, it's a Celestron C8, and there shouldn't be anything wrong with the optics as long as it's been stored carefully, although it won't have the modern coatings on the mirrors.

Worth a punt I would have thought, but this one

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=c6sxlt&cat=49

is brand new and a cracking price, despite it being only 6".

HTH, Martin

Thanks for the advice guys, you have confirmed what I was thinking.

Re the first light optics C6, I think I have seen that before and was put off because it doesn't seem to have the go-to capability of the nexstar 6. I would be happy to be told otherwise!

It's cheap because it's old - at least ten years old, by my reckoning. Those mounts are a bit funny too, I don't think you can do much to alter the height of the tripod. However, it's a Celestron C8, and there shouldn't be anything wrong with the optics as long as it's been stored carefully, although it won't have the modern coatings on the mirrors.

Worth a punt I would have thought, but this one

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=c6sxlt&cat=49

is brand new and a cracking price, despite it being only 6".

HTH, Martin

So good I bought one yesterday, delivery today... now if only I can stop looking out of the window for the courier :hello2:

So then I'm still waiting to goto the local group (it only meets once a month at the end of the month) so while i've waited i've had another look especially around FLO and while its not really what I had in mind when I first looked around I found this tube that i think I might be able to handle without any problems depending on what kind of mount I place it onto.

Just again wondered what others thought, keep in mind it'll be my first scope.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=celestron_c80ED_ota

The one on a mount comes on a CG-5 gem that i've been warned might be more than I'll be able to handle on my own with my back problems. So need a lightweight but stable mount/tripod to place it on, then as long as I can manage each on their own I sohuld be ok (i think)

Will be asking around at the local group but till they meet i'm gonna pester you lot :p

Thanks for the continued patience folks :hello2:

EDIT: Just bringing the topic back round to me again, damn hijackers :D hehehehehehe

That's a good price for a brand new 80mm APO scope Kit-Fox. I have a very similar type of scope and it gets use whenever the skies are clear (and my wife lets me :whip2: ).

Seriously though a relatively small scope like that will get a lot of use, just because it'll cool down quickly and it's easy to take anywhere. I've taken mine all over the country, often as an after thought.

For a scope mount I use a heavy duty camera tripod which isn't as stable as a larger purpose built model, but with such a light scope as mine it doesn't really make a great deal of difference. It also means I have an ALT-AZ type setup which are pretty much ready to go from the moment you plonk them down on your patio.

FLO have a good ALT AZ scope for sale here at £75. Which'd bring your purchase in under £300. What I'd also look to get would be an eyepiece around the 10mm range, which you could probably pick up from our 'for sale' section.

A smaller scope like the Celestron 80ED will have its limitations with regards to light gathering and resolution, but its size and portability make it the kind of scope you'll get a lot of use out of.

I'll give another vote to the Celestron 80ED. It will give serious wow factor on the moon and will also take serious magnification on the moon. It's planetary performance is much, much better than you would expect. Double stars in the 80ED will be as good as you'll ever see them. Deepsky is off course limited by the aperture but is far from disappointing. It's excellent contrast helps to boost the view, so again it's better than you would expect.

A Vixen Porta would make an ideal mount for you but it's £199 new. So you are looking at £450 for the scope, mount and another eyepiece.

Major thumbs up from me.

Archived