Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mak and gazing from loft

mislav

I read that longer focal lenght scopes are beter when seeing isnt so good and there are thermal bluring on image.. would than mak (lets say 127 skymax) would be preety satisfying when looking from loft that isnt heated or how would be if it is heated??

I don't think you can ever get away from house thermals. I would not buy anything in the hope of getting free of them. BUT, we are all different and maybe the effect would not bother you personally too much if you know what it is. I wouldn't like it.

18 hours ago, mislav said:

I read that longer focal lenght scopes are beter when seeing isnt so good and there are thermal bluring on image.. would than mak (lets say 127 skymax) would be preety satisfying when looking from loft that isnt heated or how would be if it is heated??

I think what people mean is that slower scopes will be less affected by shifts in focus due to atmospheric turbulence because of their greater depth of focus (not everyone agrees though).

The more you magnify the more the thermal distortions will be magnified and all telescopes are great for observing thermal distortions as on average even the lowest magnification scopes have a lowest useable magnification of above 20x, but if you must view from your loft for good reason like a disability, extreme cold or a safety issue you will observe less thermal distortion at lower magnification than higher magnification...I do observe out the many windows of my home when possible as I have a severe spinal cord injury that leaves me in great fear of walking on ice in the winter so from someone who actually observes from indoors with good reason this advice comes.

Its better to observe than not so a slightly less perfect view is still an observation verses nothing ?

Best of Luck!

Freddie...

Archived