NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Padded storage bags

The link to the Terralec site only produces a 404 but their stuff is available on other outlets - thank you though for pointing me in the general direction.

Still can't find a non-Geoptik bag suitable for a large newt (no cricket bags min 115cm long) but handily spotted something for my NEQ-6 mount so some progress was made ?.

Cheers for all your suggestions and I can't believe I didn't check Altair. Having a look, they do have an extensive range but nothing for a 250pds. It's quite a brute and I'm having trouble finding anything under £150.

Just now, Prador said:

Cheers for all your suggestions and I can't believe I didn't check Altair. Having a look, they do have an extensive range but nothing for a 250pds. It's quite a brute and I'm having trouble finding anything under £150.

Maybe worth dropping them a message though bud. They do say on our "Contact Us" page "You'll be surprised what we can source or build". Worth a try at least :)

https://www.altairastro.com/help.php?section=contactus&mode=update

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, rhw1967 said:

Maybe worth dropping them a message though bud.

Again, a cracking suggestion! I'll do that and see what can be done. Not sure why I'm missing the obvious avenues today. Must be the in-laws visiting has upset my chi ?

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/02/2019 at 17:52, Prador said:

Oklop bags, very good quality. I have one for my Tak (disclosure, it was a gift from the guys who make them).

https://www.astroshop.eu/carrying-bags/oklop-padded-bag-for-250-1200-newtonians/p,55894

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BGazing said:

Oklop bags, very good quality. I have one for my Tak (disclosure, it was a gift from the guys who make them).

https://www.astroshop.eu/carrying-bags/oklop-padded-bag-for-250-1200-newtonians/p,55894

Many thanks for that. Exactly what I'm after and cheaper than repurposing an awning bag or similar. A bargain at £60!

As an aside, how do I get in on the gift gig? ?

Thank you for the link.

49 minutes ago, Prador said:

Many thanks for that. Exactly what I'm after and cheaper than repurposing an awning bag or similar. A bargain at £60!

As an aside, how do I get in on the gift gig? ?

Thank you for the link.

Ah, it was accidental. They wanted to test their C8 bag with a real C8 and hear what an owner thinks...and I happen to be one of the rare C8 owners in Serbia. :)

Anyway, the padding is  good (10mm I believe), zippers are pretty cool, and bags are really practical. I was surprised when I saw the quality, prior to that had no idea that someone in Serbia makes bags.

@FLO might want to take note, with Brexit and all. I bought one Artesky and one Geoptik bag from FLO, Artesky is below Oklop in quality...significantly, and Geoptik is I'd say on par but with much less thought given to usability features.

They do custom, too. I might order something for Evo mount, just have to think how I want it shaped. They even do 15mm padding on request, but that's custom.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BGazing said:

@FLO might want to take note, with Brexit and all. I bought one Artesky and one Geoptik bag from FLO, Artesky is below Oklop in quality...significantly, and Geoptik is I'd say on par but with much less thought given to usability features.

Thank-you for he heads up ? 

Artesky wasn’t a good fit for FLO so we stopped stocking them some time ago. I don’t think we have ever stocked Geoptik - perhaps you are thinking of another retailer. 

Steve

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FLO said:

Thank-you for he heads up ? 

Artesky wasn’t a good fit for FLO so we stopped stocking them some time ago. I don’t think we have ever stocked Geoptik - perhaps you are thinking of another retailer. 

Steve

Yup, could have been the TS with Geoptik.

My EQ8 Artesky bag is still in operation...but I feel only because I use it relatively lightly. :)

• 3 months later...

I'm sorry I can't help with your 10" newt, but for owners of 8" newts and under (in the U.S. anyway), the 36" rolling duffel works.  My Celestron 8" newt is slightly longer (around 37"), but the soft-sided bag conforms to the scope and still has room for padding.  I work in I.T. and have saved egg crate foam padding from computer equipment.  I stuff the packing material all around and at the ends of the scope.  

Again, apologies to those in the U.K. and abroad, and to those with newts greater than 8".  I'm guessing the length of the tube for your is around 40", so this bag probably won't accomodate it, but hopefully this will help owners of shorter scopes. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Protege-36-Rolling-Trunk-Gray/495102963?athcpid=495102963&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVUB&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=53e649e3-b13-16bcde87da7823&athena=true