SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Very rough lunar sketches

Lurcher

Hi,

I couldn't resist uploading a couple of sketches from Friday night. I think the first sketch is of Mare Humorum, (although I've gotten the proportions all wrong), and thanks to acr_astro I now know the second sketch is of the Gassendi crater.

I'm not getting no very well with the white on black charcoal and pastels for accuracy but It's flipping enjoyable and therapeutic. You can get totally absorbed in what you're doing, even if the end result isn't very good at all. 

I will give normal pencils on white paper a try next time though and see if I can can improve a little on the cartoonish nature of these.

(Also had the added bonus that by messing around with the scope later that night I discovered completely by accident how to realign the scope onto an object when the alignment isn't too accurate and you have to move the scope to find the object. I've been wanting to know how to do that for ages. It's like having a new scope all over again).

Cheers all. (Isn't it nice having some clear skies again at last. Even if all the faint fuzzies are now washed out??).

ScanItem-004.jpg

ScanItem-003.jpg

3 hours ago, Lurcher said:

Hi,

I couldn't resist uploading a couple of sketches from Friday night. I think the first sketch is of Mare Humorum, (although I've gotten the proportions all wrong), and thanks to acr_astro I now know the second sketch is of the Gassendi crater.

I'm not getting no very well with the white on black charcoal and pastels for accuracy but It's flipping enjoyable and therapeutic. You can get totally absorbed in what you're doing, even if the end result isn't very good at all. 

I will give normal pencils on white paper a try next time though and see if I can can improve a little on the cartoonish nature of these.

(Also had the added bonus that by messing around with the scope later that night I discovered completely by accident how to realign the scope onto an object when the alignment isn't too accurate and you have to move the scope to find the object. I've been wanting to know how to do that for ages. It's like having a new scope all over again).

Cheers all. (Isn't it nice having some clear skies again at last. Even if all the faint fuzzies are now washed out??).

ScanItem-004.jpg

ScanItem-003.jpg

“...even if the end result isn’t very good at all”?

I’d say they are extremely good results! Well done and keep at it... you clearly have a knack for it!!

12 hours ago, Astro Imp said:

I just wish I had the talent to put something on paper.

Thanks for your kind comments. Honestly, just give it a try if you're tempted. It's not as difficult as I make it look!

11 hours ago, N3ptune said:

Thanks for sharing the 2 great sketches

Thank you. Did you get out that night afterwards?

9 hours ago, Joves said:

I’d say they are extremely good results! Well done and keep at it... you clearly have a knack for it!!

Thank you. And I clearly don't. But thank you! 

Hi,

you're showing fine sketches here. And what I like most is how you describe the relaxing effect of sketching the moon. That's exactly what I enjoy when doing the lunar sketches. It's much more relaxing than searching for faint fuzzies and trying to see details on them that can be sketched. I'm not at all good in sketching deep sky objects!

Hope to see more of your sketches here!

Clear skies!

Achim :)

3 hours ago, acr_astro said:

Hope to see more of your sketches here!

Thanks Achim. Likewise!

3 hours ago, des anderson said:

Brilliant sketches, a great talent well done.

Thank you Des. That's very kind. But I will try for something a bit better next time. Thanks!

5 hours ago, mariosi said:

Beautiful  souvenirs from the moon. Lovely details and nice presentation. 

Thank you for sharing 

That's very kind of you to say. I've just noticed the link to your own gallery and had a very quick look. - I'm going back for a better look in a moment. Absolutely amazing drawings and artwork. (If anybody else is reading this and hasn't seen Marios' drawings please click on the above link and have a look, they look amazing).

I'm constantly missing so much on this site.

Archived