Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hawke Frontier 43mm Open Hinge ED Binoculars 8x43

I have a set of 8 x 40 Opticron. They have a 6.2 degree field of view. I can tell you that in a dark sky they do show star fields, clusters of stars and brighter Nebula. They are easy to hold so you can scan the skies.Look out for sattellites. Also easy to pack if you travel abroad. So get them and enjoy them. 

I've not looked through the Frontiers but hunting around for reviews, mainly in the birding community, I think they are well regarded. I came very close to buying tbe 8x43s but spent the money elsewhere! The Frontiers currently on offer at FLO is super tempting. In terms of suitability for astronomy, my Opticron iMagic 10x42s give very nice views of open clusters and contrast is good, and although the Frontiers are roof prism binos, not porros, I would expect a bino of the Frontier ED quality to be better if anything.

I had the Hawke Frontier 10x43 bins for a few years before I upgraded. They are pretty good, ideal for scanning the heavens. I bought them mainly for birding but did a fair bit of stargazing with them. From dark skies I could pick up M31, M13, quite a few clusters, even a hint of M81/82 and so I was pleased.

I have a pair of these. ?

Nice wide view at 8 degrees .

Very well made.

A good balance when holding them to the heavens.

Give fantastic clear views of star clusters.

In fact I can get the whole of  Orions belt in view.

At the time they were being sold on offer at £239.

If my calculations are correct it's actually 8.2 degrees.

My celestron 15x70 bins being much cheaper are good for mid high power.

Harder to hold still and give 4.4 degrees field of view. Only cost approx £80

I tend to hunt things down with the 8x43s and move on to the 15x70s if I want higher mag.

Archived