Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Distant Galaxies

alan4908

A 13 hour LRGB image showing a collection of distant galaxies which was taken with my Esprit 150.

The most notable objects are NGC2276 showing dust lane structure and relatively bright H regions together with the elliptical galaxy NGC2300, with its extensive gaseous envelope. Estimates place both galaxies at around 120 million light years away. 

I've also attached a Pixinsight annotated image which shows their relative positions plus a few (presumably) even more distant fuzzies.

Alan 

17759272_13.Final.thumb.jpg.ac3bcb2af8b30dbaab58657efb20c715.jpg

1515914761_Finalannotated.thumb.jpg.d26fc64239c77e3a609971ffe800e962.jpg

LIGHTS: L:28, R:16, G:15, B:18 x 600s; DARKS:30, BIAS:100, FLATS:40 all at -20C.

NICE!

I imaged these galaxies last year, and hopefully the skies will clear enough to get more data this season. But I can see that they ideally need more focal length than my 150PDS can provide.

Thanks for sharing

8 hours ago, wimvb said:

NICE!

I imaged these galaxies last year, and hopefully the skies will clear enough to get more data this season. But I can see that they ideally need more focal length than my 150PDS can provide.

Thanks for sharing

Thanks for the comment Wim. :hello:

I suspect that I'm simply imaging at a much smaller imaging scale (0.7 arc seconds/pixel) that your set up.  For my site in the UK, I've found that this is about the optimum imaging scale for maximizing resolution.

I further enhanced the details by deconvolution on the Lum data, which this I made particularly aggressive over NGC2276. 

Alan

My attempt from last year was at 1.6 "/p. With my new scope I can get that down to 1.1"/p, but still not near your resolution. If the data is good, deconvolution can still pull out quite a lot of detail.

1 hour ago, tomato said:

Great result, very encouraging for me to see this, I will be using an Esprit 150 with an Atik 460 (0.9”/p) to go after targets like this.

Thanks for the comment.

I'm sure you will get immense enjoyment from the Esprit 150, the optics are excellent.

Alan

4 hours ago, Shibby said:

Nice image with excellent colour - a interesting collection of galaxies!

Thanks - yes, they are a varied bunch.  Unfortunately, I'm still unable to find out approximately how far the smaller faint ones are away. 

2 hours ago, gorann said:

Great image with a great scope! How do you do annotation in PI?

To perform annotation in PI, you:

1. First open the image you wish to annotate.

2. Plate solve the image. (Script->Image Analysis->ImageSolver)

3. Annotate the plated solved image. (Script->Render->AnnotateImage)

It is customizable, for instance, you can add to your own library of items that you want to annotate.  For instance, I've built a library of Herbig Haro objects. 

Alan

1 hour ago, alan4908 said:

Thanks - yes, they are a varied bunch.  Unfortunately, I'm still unable to find out approximately how far the smaller faint ones are away. 

To perform annotation in PI, you:

1. First open the image you wish to annotate.

2. Plate solve the image. (Script->Image Analysis->ImageSolver)

3. Annotate the plated solved image. (Script->Render->AnnotateImage)

It is customizable, for instance, you can add to your own library of items that you want to annotate.  For instance, I've built a library of Herbig Haro objects. 

Alan

Thanks a lot Alan - worked great on a Virgo cluster image I had!

12 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Well sourced and researched targets Alan, and fascintaing detail in the central galaxy.  Great technique from capture to processing for this lovely image.  Top work Alan.

Thanks Barry - the deconvolution process on the Lum data that I applied to the central galaxy really helped to extract detail -  I was quite surprised how much decon the data could take. 

11 hours ago, MartinB said:

Terrific image Alan.  Mind blowing really!

Thanks Martin :happy11:

Archived