NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Getting back into imaging after a long break

Gina

Yes, heavy dew here too.  Might be too much with an upwards pointing rig - we'll see.  Probably have to venture out after dark with torch to check for dew on the lens if the image isn't clear.

5 minutes ago, Gina said:

Yes, heavy dew here too.  Might be too much with an upwards pointing rig - we'll see.  Probably have to venture out after dark with torch to check for dew on the lens if the image isn't clear.

The temperature is forecast to be fairly stable all night, so I think it's fully dark we might well be ok.

I think I'm going to switch the 314L+ to the ED80 for M27, put the 174MM on the TS 72ED and go comet-hunting with that and then have the 127Mak ready for some lunar shots when it rises.

After last night's escapades however, I don't feel exactly bouncing with energy so I don't know how long I'll last :D

James

• Like 1

Been out to the observatory and I think I've fixed it temporarily.  It was power connections.  OTOH there are strips of cloud continuously passing overhead so I don't know if imaging will be any good anyway.

Oh dear, the perils of wide field imaging. I'm seeing strips of cloud here too, looks like they're coming from the north west-ish. TBH as I'm mainly debugging any actual imaging will be a bonus.

Maxim is OK I suppose though not as good as SGP for capture but I'm done with buying yet more software. The ASA Sequence software needs Maxim and PinPoint for plate solving to build the big sky models it uses, so I might as well use it for my capture sequences.

KStars/Ekos/INDI is free and the single board computer to control the imaging, mount etc. is around £30.  There are a few other bits needed but £50 should cover it.  Indoors, KStars/Ekos can be run on Windoze, Linux, Mac etc.

• Like 1

I think I'll call time on the Crescent for this year and start thinking about a new target. I have unfinished business with Deer Lick and Stephan's Quintet which will be coming into target range.

24 minutes ago, DaveS said:

If you can use it then OK, however the ASA DDM mounts need their own software for control and making the pointing files.

Fair enough.  I forgot you had an awkward mount.

• Like 1