Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which is the closest planet to Earth?

lukebl

So which planet is closest to Earth? Venus, of course.

WRONG! On average, 46% of the time Mercury is the closest planet, Venus 36% of the time, and Mars 18%.

Fascinating fact courtesy of the BBC World Service.

• 1 month later...
On 21/01/2019 at 09:20, johnturley said:

I think what most people usually mean is actually which planet comes closest to the earth.

John

I watched part of a game show (in the USA) where the contestant lost a few hundred thousand dollars for saying that the planet that comes closest to Earth was Venus. The show's answer was Mars, which was incorrect of course. No one batted an eyelid or contested the answer on the show. I knew immediately the show's answer was incorrect and the man was wrongly stripped of his winnings. It seems no one of the younger generations is expected to think for themselves these days (in the US) and prefer to be told what is true without question. It's much easier than thinking for oneself.

1 hour ago, Can always make it better said:

It seems no one of the younger generations is expected to think for themselves these days (in the US) and prefer to be told what is true without question. It's much easier than thinking for oneself.

Unfortunately almost half of the population in the US think the earth is only 6,000 years old!

Archived