Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bit of a monster this!

George

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a G11 either, IMHO my 5" f/8 was comfortably mounted on a G11 but not over-mounted. This would be way too much for a G11.

With something like this you're into high-end mount territory, although if you're visual you could probably go for a custom job with big capacity but not the super-tracking of the high-end mounts. My 1200GTO would do alright with it, my observatory wouldn't...

I suspect that the Fullerscope Mk4 is the "big capacity but not the super-tracking of the high-end mounts" that I had in mind - things like the Titan, AP1200 and Paramount have big capacity and very precise tracking, but strictly speaking all you need for something like this is the capacity. Don't know the details though, Steve at TH would if nobody else does.

Anyone care to guess the final price for this Scope. I will go first and try £1,450.

I don't recon many will have a mount to cope with this beast. It would have been good to see it outside, and mounted though. It doesn't look happy laying in those cradles.

Ron.

I reckon it'll either be a bit of a bargain for someone who can mount and house it, or an impulse buy that'll quickly be back up for sale when the buyer discovers the reality of a big achromat. I've seen a 178mm f/9 Astro-Physics up close, and that's a big, hard-to-handle 'scope. This one's considerably bigger!!

I suppose anyone who is prepared to just follow the Ecliptic, could mount it in a sort of robust Dob. cradle type support mechanism, and be satisfied with planetary observations, and any multiple star systems that happen to cross in that area.. A kind of cut down Leviathan mount would do. The moon too will on occasion be accessible. Bit expensive to be constrained to those activities though. :D

Ron.

If I recall correctly, this was listed recently with a 3k Buy it Now, but was unsold.

Ach..It's not an APO, not worth the bother :whip2: :D

Puleeze... :help: ... If it sells for under 2K it will be a bargain. How much would an 8.5 inch Apo cost?

I suspect that the Fullerscope Mk4 is the "big capacity but not the super-tracking of the high-end mounts" that I had in mind - things like the Titan, AP1200 and Paramount have big capacity and very precise tracking, but strictly speaking all you need for something like this is the capacity. Don't know the details though, Steve at TH would if nobody else does.

I'm curious whether anyone knows whether Fullerscope ever actually had specs mentioning a maximum weight for a MARK IV? I've just bought one, and it came with 35 lbs of counterbalance weight alone (an old-school 12" Fullerscopes newtonian was on the other end). As Ben says above, they do not have the precision made credentials of AP (or similar), and their long exposure astrophotography usefulness would be limited at best.

They are however, very strong & sturdy, and well suited to visual use. They also look pretty cool....

Archived