SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wonder Scopes On Ebay

Les Ewan

I saw these two gems on Ebay just look at the sellers  claims; 650X on the 60mm refractor and 1000X on the 76mm reflector. The reflector further boasts (drumroll)  'Night Vision' and 'HD' (ca-ting) !?

These scopes are selling new and are cheap, they may be OK for the price but why are scope sellers continuing to get away with this.

DSCN0009.JPG

DSCN0011.JPG

1. Well, it is capable of achieving 675x or 1000x with enough barlows and a short enough focal length eyepiece.  Whether or not it's useful is the unstated qualifier.  So a factual statement on the surface.  This is why so many of these scopes are sold with a 4mm Ramsden and a 3x barlow ((900/4)*3=675x).  As sold, it will produce the advertised power.
  2. You can see objects at night, so "night vision".  It all depends on your definition of "night vision".  So a literal usage of words correct statement.
  3. Your eye sees in HD (High Definition, I'll assume), so again, a factually correct statement.

Marketing-speak to mislead the unwashed masses without actually making false claims.

That type of reflector is usually 76mm X 700mm FL so to get 1000X you would need something like a 2mm EP & 3X Barlow!!!

The exit pupil would be 3 thousanths of an inch in old money . Looking at the moon might even be painfull. ?

My first scope was just like that reflector but with a well-known brand. ( I wont say which but it began with "C". )

Still, as bad as it was, it got me hooked on the hobby.

On 10/01/2019 at 19:52, lenscap said:

( I wont say which but it began with "C". )

And was 4 letters and ended in'P'???

Apologies to those easily offended, I couldn't resist!

Archived