NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tracing light box for flats

DanLXIX

So as I move along the learning curve I need to start creating flats to improve my stacking. I've seen the t-shirt method but I don't have the option to hang around for dawn to shoot them, so I was thinking about using an artificial light source alongside a shirt. Is anyone using a tracing light box like this one? They seem to have a mesh in them and I don't know if that will mess up the results.

8 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

I use a tracing light box - I found that i had to put some light grey plastic over it as it was too bright without.

Peter

Does yours have a mesh on it, like this?

Capture.JPG

I used one of these but found it gave me lots of problems with banding which may have been specific to the type as it was variable brightness.

I now use an iPad (sitting on the end of the scope) and lightbox app with a stretched t-shirt (double thickness) and it works very well for me.

HTH

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I use something similar, it has a dimmer switch built in and flicker free technology.

Needs a couple of sheets of printing paper for narrow band and 4 or 5 sheets for RGB flats.

Dave

Led-box.png.580b89bc4ca87fa2709ad2c6e37d6306.png

Does light get in anywhere else when taking flats in the open day light? 

I’m after a panel but my flats need to be 4+ seconds so need a fair bit of dimming I’d imagine?

7 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I use something similar, it has a dimmer switch built in and flicker free technology.

Needs a couple of sheets of printing paper for narrow band and 4 or 5 sheets for RGB flats.

Thanks, I might give it a try then. Is paper better than a white t-shirt?

I like your mounting box - I'm going to borrow that idea ?

26 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Does light get in anywhere else when taking flats in the open day light? 

I’m after a panel but my flats need to be 4+ seconds so need a fair bit of dimming I’d imagine?

No the paper on the panel sits flat on the dew shield, it needs about 5 sheets of A4 white printing paper for 4 secs RGB.

23 minutes ago, DanLXIX said:

Thanks, I might give it a try then. Is paper better than a white t-shirt?

You can adjust the brightness by varying the number of sheets of paper.

That's the box it came in just cut a hole to fit.

Dave

Archived