Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars June through December 2018

orion25

Hi, all. I'm wrapping up my Mars imaging for this apparition. It's been a wild ride dealing with the global dust storm around opposition, but some good views were to be had once the dust cleared. Here are some of the fruits of my labor from June to December of this year using the Orion StarShoot 5MP Solar System Camera and my Orion 180/127mm Maks:

942755794_ASTRONOMY-MARSTRANSITION(5MP)JUNE-DECEMBER2018.thumb.jpg.c630f1cea636d6f7716850485e574f9f.jpg

Seasons Greetings! :D

Reggie

2 hours ago, Stargazer33 said:

Nice sequence. Really highlights the variation in size due to orbital distance.

Thanks, Bryan. It's taken many nights under the Red Planet to build this collection, and now I can breathe a sigh of relief (for now)!

1 hour ago, Pete Presland said:

Excellent stuff Reggie, it may have been a frustrating season for Mars for a lot of us, but you captured a nice montage of images there.

Thanks, Pete. At one point, it didn't seem like the dust storm would ever relent, but I kept on until finally I could capture some detail. Now, I can relax a bit until 2020!

4 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

The dust storm was very annoying in many respects, but it was fascinating to follow via the online resources. Amazing to be able to witness the beginning of the event, see the features disappear and then when the dust had settled, appear again.

So true. It will interesting to see how the 2020 apparition will progress ?

1 minute ago, Ruud said:

Oh, it comes and it goes. That's nice!

Thanks, Ruud. It's been a long and interesting journey watching Mars. I'm curious to see if the 2020 apparition will be affected by a dust storm (I hope not). :) 

Archived