Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

MOON AMONGST THE HYADES - Midnight TONIGHT - BEST 5AM TOMORROW

paulastro

The waxing gibbous Moon passes into the Hyades at around midnight tonight, and will be centrally inside the 'V' shape of the Hyades by 5am tomorrow morning.

Best in something like 10x50 binocs or a telescope with around a 3 degree field of view or more.

Very unlikely to be seen up here according to the weather forecast, but hopefully someone out there may get a view :smile:

It surely must be occultating some stars I would have thought.  This aspect would probably be better using a bit higher magnification.  This will improve contrast and make fainter stars easier to see - and to some extend lessen the brightness of the Moon.

I arrived home at work late last night, around 10.45pm.  Went out 11pm until about 11.30pm, the Moon just visible and the only thing showing through the cloud most of the time.  I did manage to see some of the brighter Hyades, including Aldebaran of course, at various times, enough to give me a reasonable view overall during this time period.  I was using my 10x50 binoculars which framed the Hyades and the Moon nicely.  The cloud obscured the Moon completely by 11.30.  I checked the sky regularly until 2am with no change in the sky so went to bed.

Pleased to see anything of it at all, I hope others had some good views.

Archived