NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can diagonal nosepiece be shorter?

Attached to the LX90 a 2" diagonal. When the scope is pointed at zenith (regardless how rare), the diagonal 'almost' hits the fork base. I'm guessing adding a filter, filter wheel, or FR will be problematic. 

Can you get a shorter nosepiece (if they exist) for the sct diagonal? 

LX90-8-inch.thumb.jpg.572c4d17fb5127d05a3f8c065138436e.jpg

20181219_104039.jpg

1 hour ago, vlaiv said:

Maybe one of these:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p87_TS-Optics-SC-thread-2--Star-Diagonal---99--Quartz---Compression-Ring.html

It has SC thread on it so it can be attached directly - no nose piece to be sticking out.

This one is possibly the same length as mine. Plus, that's a whole diagonal to buy, which I don't need. Thanks for the tip anyway. 

The granted, not very elegant and expensive solution is a wedge so it aims at the zenith before reaching the base but this can still be limiting with filter wheel in particular needing rotating to try to avoid contact with the base.

Dave

20 hours ago, Davey-T said:

The granted, not very elegant and expensive solution is a wedge so it aims at the zenith before reaching the base but this can still be limiting with filter wheel in particular needing rotating to try to avoid contact with the base.

Dave

I even started to see that with large 2" eyepieces and diagonal, I'll end up needing some sort of counterweight on the front. That's because sometimes I don't bother with the GoTo system, I just use the scope manually, push it around by hand. I guess I'm still in contact with my anti-tech primitive part of the brain. 

If the diagonal body uses a T2 thread to attach the SCT barrel the I guess you could remove that barrel and use something like this low profile SCT-T2 adapter to mate the diagonal directly to the rear port of the scope ?:

https://www.astroshop.eu/other-adapters/omegon-sct-adapter-ultrashort-t2-male-2-/p,33228?utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=33228&utm_campaign=1812&utm_source=froogle&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_p6oo5au3wIVUOh3Ch2fPQprEAQYAiABEgIbFvD_BwE&utm_content=

Archived