DSLR Camera

Chris7485

Hi guys, 

I am new to the world of astronomy and want some advice on the best DSLR camera to use when doing astrophotopgraphy. I am going for the Sky-Watcher Explorer 150P OTA and Sky-Watcher EQ5 PRO Go-To Astronomy Mount and wandered what the best option is. I don't want to break the bank as it's already getting expensive so any recommendations would be great. I suppose I need one with a good exposure and adaptable to fit onto the telescope

Hope you can help

Many thanks

Chris

I`d be inclined to go for a small apo to start with and then something like an older Canon, something like a modded 450d. Reflectors are alot more work when it comes to astrophotography with things like collimation etc. Just my 2p

Alan

As above, the 130P-DS is optimised for imaging.  You may have issues with finding focus with a DSLR on the standard 150P.  To be perfectly honest, the HEQ5 is considered more of an imaging mount.  Somebody who uses an EQ5 may enlighten us on the limits of that mount but an HEQ5 will give better results.  You should also budget for a decent coma corrector (e.g., Baader) if you are intending to image.

You can use any DSLR, you just need to correct T-ring adaptor. There are plenty of cheap second hand ones knocking around to get you started while you learn the basics. If you haven't already ordered the scope then I'd suggest switching to the PDS version which is designed for imaging, the focuser is sturdier. You may not be able to achieve focus with the P version without modification to the scope.

Appreciate all the feedback guys, very useful. As is very often when starting out there is an avalanche of information and knowing the right way to go is a bit of a minefield 

I'd be inclined, by your responses to go for the 130 scope with the EQ5 mount - this would seem the most sensible for photogrpahy?

As for the DSLR camera itself - seems as long as I have the right adaptor, most Nikon/Canon cameras would do the trick

First thing I posted on here someone advised Steve’s book and I bought it. It is genuinely a very helpful book that explains things very well. It’s also not a book you read then you are done with it I return to it often for reference. 

Archived