Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Diagonal streaks - camera problem or something else?

Demonperformer

This is an image I took this morning. It is as it came out of sharpcap's live stacking option. No calibration frames. It was taken because the camera is up for sale and I have received enquiries on how it performs on DSOs.

Obviously there are loads of things wrong with this image, not least the lack of guiding, but I am interested in the diagonal stripes that run from top left to bottom right - they seem to be running along the direction of drift. Specifically, I am interested in finding out it they are caused by a camera problem, or something else. Clearly, if they are a camera problem then I will need to withdraw it from sale.

Thanks.

Stack_300frames_4500s.png

3 hours ago, Adreneline said:

I had exactly this problem a few months back.

This the thread and the helpful replies explaining the cause of the problem:

Adrian

Used to get the same with my 450D when the sensor got particularly warm (circa 30 degrees during the summer!). Good to know why, thanks!

2 hours ago, LightBucket said:

Artefact of CMOS Cameras that don’t cope well with out calibration frames.... doesnt happen on CCD.. ??

You may want to check the link in Adrin's post above ?

19 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

This is an image I took this morning. It is as it came out of sharpcap's live stacking option. No calibration frames. It was taken because the camera is up for sale and I have received enquiries on how it performs on DSOs.

Obviously there are loads of things wrong with this image, not least the lack of guiding, but I am interested in the diagonal stripes that run from top left to bottom right - they seem to be running along the direction of drift. Specifically, I am interested in finding out it they are caused by a camera problem, or something else. Clearly, if they are a camera problem then I will need to withdraw it from sale.

Thanks.

Stack_300frames_4500s.png

It looks like walking noise to me.  I used to have this in almost all of my images. Dithering  between frames should handle it nicely. 

Archived