NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cant get a video capture card to install - assistance needed.

tooth_dr

Hi all

I need help to get this card working to run an analogue cctv camera for astronomy. Any help really really appreciated, even if it's just to say this cant be done.

http://www.stretchinc.com/_files/S7000_BOARD.pdf

I have the VRC7016LX dvr card and I’m running windows 7 home premium.

This is what I’m getting after installing the card

image.png.8074e3d00a6029760b439e21cdfcc51a.png

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

so click on "update driver", then when prompted point to the installation media that came with the card ??

I only have the pci card.

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

Did it not come with any drivers on a CD or similar?

James

No cd, just got the card on its own. 

1 hour ago, LightBucket said:

Click on update driver, and if no CD or media, click go online to search for driver, and if available it should find it, but may take a good few mins.. :)

Tried this, even after 15-30 minutes of searching it came back as couldn’t find drivers.

I then took vista off my pc and did a fresh install of windows 7, still the same problem. 

The downloaded files contain an .inf file which informs Windows what drivers are required for the graphics card you've installed.  From device manager click on 'Update Driver' and point it to the location of the downloaded .inf file.  Windows should then install the correct drivers for the card. You need to ensure the correct card and your OS are selected on the Stretch site before downloading or Windows will not find the right drivers.

If you still have trouble use the link that Julian gave to download the installation manager instead which will scan your PC for the correct drivers to use and will install them automatically.

Alan 

26 minutes ago, symmetal said:

The downloaded files contain an .inf file which informs Windows what drivers are required for the graphics card you've installed.  From device manager click on 'Update Driver' and point it to the location of the downloaded .inf file.  Windows should then install the correct drivers for the card. You need to ensure the correct card and your OS are selected on the Stretch site before downloading or Windows will not find the right drivers.

If you still have trouble use the link that Julian gave to download the installation manager instead which will scan your PC for the correct drivers to use and will install them automatically.

Alan 

Thanks Alan.  I am looking forward to getting a go at this later, and finally get my meteor cameras up and running.

1 minute ago, JamesF said:

Perhaps email the manufacturer asking for drivers?  I'm surprised they don't make them available from their website, to be honest.

James

I cant find them, but perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.  I've tried emailing them, an american firm, just waiting to hear back from them.  This video card came out of a large commercial setup that was being upgraded, hence the lack of drivers, etc.

One thing about Stretch Inc. is that they don't do the drivers & apps for the devices as they are OEM suppliers, who only provide an IDE tool for the end retailer to build a 'named' driver\application package, so are there any other markings on the card, to give you a clue to the retailer ??

7 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

One thing about Stretch Inc. is that they don't do the drivers & apps for the devices as they are OEM suppliers, who only provide an IDE tool for the end retailer to build a 'named' driver\application package, so are there any other markings on the card, to give you a clue to the retailer ??

I dont recall seeing anything on the card apart from words on the components like in all the photos.  I think this is too tecnical for me!

What I envisaged was pluging in PCI-e card, it installing itself either itself or via a downloadable driver, then I open up my software capture program UFOcapture and find the camera in there.  Is this even possible with this card?

32 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

@Dr_Ju_ju

This is the unzipped download linked above, it doesnt work when point the driver search to it. It doesnt look right.

image.thumb.png.7d8e5c51102a920dc0a09039fd9325b0.png

You seem to have the 'Hide extensions' for system files option enabled which is why you can't see the .inf. It's the blank name 3rd file down in the list. It's a text file so you can view it in WordPad etc. if you wish though it won't make much sense to you. The drivers are the .sys files and Windows should copy them to their proper place and update the registry etc. as required to enable other programs to access them. Normally just telling Windows using 'Update Driver' the folder where the .inf is located is enough. I've just looked at the .inf file and it looks more like a template for an .inf file as no actual details of cards, manufactures etc are listed. I last looked at .inf files with Windows XP and maybe the format has changed with later versions of Windows but it looks odd to me.

Looking at the README file it says not to install the drivers manually but to use the installation manager which has been downloaded. The installation manager was a separate download on the site so there seems to be confusion as to what should have been downloaded and what actually has been.

Alan

1 minute ago, symmetal said:

You seem to have the 'Hide extensions' for system files option enabled which is why you can't see the .inf.

Thanks Alan, this is a brand new install of win7 done yesterday, I havent changed anything, wouldnt know how to hide extensions.

https://www.driverscape.com/download/stretch-vrc7016l-dvr-card

https://sciologness.com/download/32989/stretch-vrc7016l-dvr-card.html

Look perhaps a little more promising in that they do look like they involve drivers for the right kind of device, though downloading drivers from random websites would still make me apprehensive.  Both locations return the same files and they're from two different sources if that means anything, though one is hosted at OVH (in Canada and France) who I'd trust about as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat (as the saying goes).

James

Were I to have a go with the files from one of the links I posted, I think I'd download the file, disconnect from the local network and then try installing the driver and see what happens.  If something went wrong then I'd reinstall Windows, doing a full reformat of the disk as part of the process.  There's nothing that looks immediately horribly wrong with the driver file, but I can't say for certain that it's safe.  Even if it worked I think I'd still be a little uncomfortable, but I am quite paranoid about these things.

James

The ones James pointed to do seem more promising as the .inf files look look like I remember them and the cards and manufactures are listed in it.

On James' links click on the second download listed (the driver itself) and not the first download button which is adware for 'automatic' system scans and driver installation.

Alan

21 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I dont recall seeing anything on the card apart from words on the components like in all the photos.  I think this is too tecnical for me!

What I envisaged was pluging in PCI-e card, it installing itself either itself or via a downloadable driver, then I open up my software capture program UFOcapture and find the camera in there.  Is this even possible with this card?

It does appear that UFOcapture should see the card as a video capture device and allow you to use it to grab images from a camera.  What sort of output does your camera have?  If this card is a pain in the neck then well-supported capture cards can be had for much cheapness these days.

James

Just now, JamesF said:

It does appear that UFOcapture should see the card as a video capture device and allow you to use it to grab images from a camera.  What sort of output does your camera have?  If this card is a pain in the neck then well-supported capture cards can be had for much cheapness these days.

James

My cameras are Watec and Mintron with RCA and BNC outputs respectively.

I unpacked the drivers above and saved in a folder on desktop.

I went into device manager, opened up the unknown device and clicked on update driver and directed it to the new folder. No joy.

Over my head. 

Archived