Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3D Printed Spool Holder (off topic)

kbrown

What's the PSU rating for the Arduino Mega 2560 + RAMPS, Gina?  Will 12V@15A be sufficient?  And any particularly recommended source for the parts?  Or are they all much of a muchness?

You're not wrong though.  As a temporary workaround I could just connect a fan across that spare 12V output and put a switch in the line.

James

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on your bed heater which is usually the biggest current drain.   Can't remember where I bought mine now but I tend to use Amazon mostly.  Ebay sometimes.

You will also want an adapter for the LCD unit - it looks like yours is different from the RepRap standard so that might be a problem.  My LCD units have two same size connectors on the ribbon cables.  I have upgraded from Arduino/RAMPS to Duet WiFi control boards but they are far from cheap, working out at the best part of £150 each including carriage and VAT.  They have many advantages though such as quiet motor operation, cleaner prints, easier to set up and everything controlled from a browser interface.

On 07/12/2018 at 04:54, Demonperformer said:

Using a 3D printer to make bits for a 3D printer ... I have visions of the machines starting to replicate themselves and taking over :)

Err... That was the original concept behind RepRap...

FWIW this is my spool holder, uses bearings in the reels.

Chapter 5 (3).JPG

Chapter 9 (11).JPG

Fortunately I've not had problems with mine so far, so I've not felt the need to make new rollers for the spool.  I did make a stand that is independent of the main printer chassis though, so the printer isn't affected by the weight or movement of the filament:

geeetech19.jpg

James

Just printed a new spool holder for my Titan printer to take the larger size 2200g reels of filament and also 4500g reels.  Bit different from the usual 1Kg reels ?

I also use larger (modest..?) reels 2.2kg.
But I store them inside my printer. Most of the time we(all?) print parts not that high.  So the space in the lower part of my printers is always(most of the time) empty.
For that reason I do install my reels (that are in use) horizontally on the bottom of my printer. With that reel inside I can print as high as 130mm. When I want to print something high I remove the reel and the 'renewed/enlarged space allow me to print 255 mm high.

The filament is pulled up and guided through a teflon tube. Works perfectly. To minimise friction I removed all grease out of the supporting ball bearings and replaced it with a very thin spray of WD40. I also removed both sealings of both ball bearings.

The brass shim is to apply some friction(adjustable) by bending these shims I can tune the amount of friction...

image.jpeg

Archived