Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New used Super Polaris

By a tortuous route I have managed to acquire a Vixen Super Polaris for £150, as recently advertised on astro buy & sell. Arrived yesterday and all seems to be working fine. Very impressed with engineering and build quality. There is a cirular aluminium cup which looks like it should fit between the mount and the tripod but I can't actually get to fit anywhere. Doesn't seem to be a problem :insects1: It has 2 motors but no handset and no guarantee that the motors work (all made clear by seller).

It has the polar scope in situ but the illuminator for the reticle is no longer there. Not the end of the world since the reticle shows up ok by shining a light onto the scope indirectly but a bit of a faff.

So I need a hand controller (but hopefully not new motors). Was thinking of trying Orion or AWR technology for this. Will also see if Orion can supply an illuminator but I doubt it.

Any one have any suggestions?

The mount and ED80 look pretty as a picture together. This means I might have to update my set up pic :shock: :laugh:

Martin

Oh and ya can't change ya Pic we need our very own bob monkhouse you know! :nono: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: just wait and see 8)

Good suggestion about Beacon Hill. They have been very helpful in the past so I will give them a shout.

Martin

An excellent bargin for £150! I have the slightly newer Vixen GP mount and am very happy with it. You can buy a controller for the motors from Orion Optics in Crewe, but it's probably worth testing the motors work first as the controller is fairly expensive. http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/acatalog/gp_options.htm

Thanks Gordon. They are the older MD-5SP motors and the DD1 controller doesn't work. AWR do something though.

Martin

:laugh: This is Mastercard.... please step away from your card... I repeat this is Mastercard.... please put the card down, and no one will be harmed....

Spend spend spend....hehehehehe Nice one Martin... :laugh:

:laugh: :lol:Caz, with all the money I've saved buying everything second hand I must have made myself quite wealthy :insects1: :?

Martin

More wanton abuse of master card. The SP is sorted - twin drive handset with allsorts of goodies including auto guide interface. Plus a polar scope reticle illuminator. All thanks to AWR Technology and a flexible friend :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Martin

:laugh: This is Mastercard.... please step away from your card... I repeat this is Mastercard.... please put the card down, and no one will be harmed....

:laugh: :lol:Caz, with all the money I've saved buying everything second hand I must have made myself quite wealthy :insects1: :?

Martin

Martin I have heard that you can now borrow enough money to get completely out of debt :laugh: :insects1:

Martin

Martin I have heard that you can now borrow enough money to get completely out of debt :wink: :insects1:

Don' worry Martin, there are plenty of people advertising on telly who can help you pay of all your debts and leave with enough money for what ever you desire and have a holiday, and they don't care about your credit rating.

nabban :laugh: :nono:

It has an integral dovetail, so I couldn't get my Mak on it and I have separate dovetals for all my scopes, it would have been a bit of a pain to swap scopes without an adaptor, so I asked Martin if he fancied it....

Archived