SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Where to mount a red dot finder?

I've just taken delivery of a feathertouch focuser to cope with heavier night vision weights - it's a joy to use, but unlike the larger Feathertouch focusers doesn't have any holes to mount a finder - I only want to use a simple red dot finder. And there's nowhere else on the scope to fit one either. One option is to get tube rings to replace the Takahashi clamp, but I'd rather not do that. Just wondering if anyone has another solution? 

IMG_1166.JPG

Edited by Highburymark

A single tube ring near the focuser would hold it nicely as these finders are light weight, the single tube ring could also be attatched upscope past the clamshell clamp for a more ergonomic function.

Best of Luck,

Freddie ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure how the red dot finders attach to a scope normally, but if they do so by a small dovetail adapter, you could perhaps attach one to the flat surface of your clam shell. By removing the screw protruding from the top of the clam shell you could possibly attach a finder shoe to the shell. If screwing inward from the top of the clam shell be careful that the screw isn't too long or it will scratch that beautiful paintwork. 

• Thanks 1

I think Mike's idea is probably the way to go, although I recall @DirkSteele fitting a single ring on the focuser and mounting a finder on that. The benefit is being able to rotate it and get it in the ideal position. I have tube rings on my scope and just mount it on one of those.

A question Mark? See what I did there? ?? I notice that you've still got the green section of the old focuser between the OTA and the FT. I guess that avoid using more extension tubes but may stop you reaching focus natively with Binoviewers if that is something you are interested in? Can always change the config depending on what you are doing I guess.

Looking good though :)

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think Mike's idea is probably the way to go, although I recall @DirkSteele fitting a single ring on the focuser and mounting a finder on that. The benefit is being able to rotate it and get it in the ideal position. I have tube rings on my scope and just mount it on one of those.

A question Mark? See what I did there? ?? I notice that you've still got the green section of the old focuser between the OTA and the FT. I guess that avoid using more extension tubes but may stop you reaching focus natively with Binoviewers if that is something you are interested in? Can always change the config depending on what you are doing I guess.

Looking good though :)

Thanks Stu - yes, I left the second focuser section on there to reach focus without the binoviewer - for night vision and standard EPs. Will remove for native binoviewing - and presumably for white light solar with the Coolwedge - that's something I haven't tried yet but really looking forward to the next sunspot! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I'm not sure how the red dot finders attach to a scope normally, but if they do so by a small dovetail adapter, you could perhaps attach one to the flat surface of your clam shell. By removing the screw protruding from the top of the clam shell you could possibly attach a finder shoe to the shell. If screwing inward from the top of the clam shell be careful that the screw isn't too long or it will scratch that beautiful paintwork. 

I am very protective of that paintwork Mike - though noticed on another thread that it is possible to get Tak green touch up paint. Presumably would have to come from Japan - maybe we should order a shared bottle for UK SGL Tak owners....

11 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

As @Stu mentioned I have used a single tube ring which matches the diameter of the feathertouch to provide a base for the finder. Means I can rotate in to position.  See photo.

1388261474_Finder-attachedtoFeathertouch.jpg.621ef75749130f385eaa2da33208051d.jpg

Looks great Matthew! Is that a standard Skywatcher tube ring? I have the FT-2025 2" focuser with an adapter which has a circumference of 24.5cm - is that the same as yours? Very elegant solution.

• Like 1

On 04/12/2018 at 10:35, DirkSteele said:

I will measure it all later and let you know.

No need now Matthew - I've been onto your excellent website ('alpha-lyrae' for the uninitiated) and read the reviews of your 60/76mm Tak - you have the same Feathertouch adapter as I do with 76mm diameter, so I'm going to track down a 76mm tube ring (SW or Orion) on which to mount my finder.

I cannot praise the Feathertouch (FT2025) enough. It's an exquisite piece of engineering. Playing around with different loads this afternoon, I attached a Baader 2" Coolwedge, 2" Barcon barlow, several T2 spacers, Baader MkV binoviewer, and 2x Fujiyama eyepieces, and it handled them beautifully. Something that was just not possible with the Tak focuser. The fit and finish is also perfect. 

• Like 5

• 3 years later...

This is an old thread and I'm glad I run in to it. I have the same Feathertouch 2025 and I'm trying to attach the Tak finder or a red dot finder tho the focuser. Would appreciate if somebody can help to identify which tube ring that is and where I can find one.  

On 17/11/2022 at 22:55, Stardust1 said:

This is an old thread and I'm glad I run in to it. I have the same Feathertouch 2025 and I'm trying to attach the Tak finder or a red dot finder tho the focuser. Would appreciate if somebody can help to identify which tube ring that is and where I can find one.  

It was a Skywatcher 76mm ring that I used I think - should be available from most astro stores/websites. Don’t have the scope any more but it worked well as a finder mount.

76647882-05F1-4901-9095-DC10FE71EFE8.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Highburymark said:

It was a Skywatcher 76mm ring that I used I think - should be available from most astro stores/websites. Don’t have the scope any more but it worked well as a finder mount.

76647882-05F1-4901-9095-DC10FE71EFE8.jpeg

Beautiful setup!

Thank you, I will check if I can find the 76mm rings.