Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SH2-248 + SH2-249 (Jellyfish Nebula)

tooth_dr

Just data from the Atik 383L+ on this one

H-alpha 7nm

10 x 1200s

50  x 600s

Total exposure 11 hours 40 mins

You can see the noise difference with the two panels, with a ratio of about 2 to 1 for integration time.

It's a start anyway!

False coloured using NCs actions.

SH2-248-249.jpg

SH2-248-249-mono.jpg

St-avg-42000.0s-LNMSC_1_3.0_none-x_1.0_LZ3-NS-full-qua-add-sc_BWMV_nor-AA-RL-MBB5_1stLNC_it3-St.jpg

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

Very nice Adam, we appear to be following the same course, I switched to the Jelly Fish last night when the California Nebula went out of sight behind the roof tops.

Dave

Glad to hear it, look forward to your results. I’ve another 12 hours to add to this but my laptop takes about 2-3 hours to integrate these mosaics, so I’ll run it through tomorrow at work. 

4 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

Not even worthy to comment on these last few pics.............unreal.

I’m glad you like them Paul. I’ve been focusing full/several nights on these mosaics and it’s paying off I think. 

The Jellyfish is looking awesome Adam. Lots of nice crisp detail showing. 

What's your plans for this one? Purely NB or an HaRGB blend? 

Also, at the moment how are you framing your mosaic panels? SGP makes it really easy, and with minimal loss due to overlap. Maybe something to ask Santa for ?

1 minute ago, Xiga said:

The Jellyfish is looking awesome Adam. Lots of nice crisp detail showing. 

What's your plans for this one? Purely NB or an HaRGB blend? 

Also, at the moment how are you framing your mosaic panels? SGP makes it really easy, and with minimal loss due to overlap. Maybe something to ask Santa for ?

Lol you see my framing is not ideal! Entirely manual using the direction arrows in EQMOD and by eye lol.  SGPro for Xmas ‘19 ?

The bottom panel was a single rogue sub that was taken at the start of a session before I luckily realised it wasn’t lined up properly.

Plans - you mentioned before about Oiii on this one to me.  So I’ve taken that on board and plan to devote another night to oiii. 

Here is my latest version with 67800 seconds (or 18 hours and 50 minutes) of integration time.

I'm still not totally happy with the noise levels, any advice welcome.   A significant improvement in the above though.

Comments welcome.  I can provide Tiffs if anyone wants a bash?

Many thanks

Adam.

Jellyfish_nebula_mono.jpg

Jellyfish_nebula_red.jpg

It almost looks like 2 images that have been layered on top of each other, only they are not perfectly aligned. As well as the stars in the corners, the fine details in the Jellyfish also look a bit smeared to me.

How did you create the latest version Adam? Did you start again from scratch, or did you stack the new data and try to layer it on top of the old one? 

If you are worried about the noise, then you have a tough decision.

To make a significant impact you will need to double the exposure of the Ha element.

On the other hand, you could back off a bit, and you already have a fantastic image.  The detail and resolution that you have in the jellyfish is already quite exceptional.

The stars in the corners look like a processing issue that you'll sort out anyway. 

9 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Seems to have developed some weird stars in the corners Adam.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Registration error it looks like. I added a few hours of data from another camera but it wasn’t registered properly in APP. 

7 hours ago, Xiga said:

It almost looks like 2 images that have been layered on top of each other, only they are not perfectly aligned. As well as the stars in the corners, the fine details in the Jellyfish also look a bit smeared to me.

How did you create the latest version Adam? Did you start again from scratch, or did you stack the new data and try to layer it on top of the old one? 

I did register my new data using the first data Ciaran. I picked one sub from the first data and registered all the new data to it. I suspect now that I should have registered the new data to the final mosaic version of the first data!

7 hours ago, don4l said:

If you are worried about the noise, then you have a tough decision.

To make a significant impact you will need to double the exposure of the Ha element.

On the other hand, you could back off a bit, and you already have a fantastic image.  The detail and resolution that you have in the jellyfish is already quite exceptional.

The stars in the corners look like a processing issue that you'll sort out anyway. 

Thanks Donal ??. Do you think I should go for longer subs or more subs?  This image is comprised entirely of h-alpha data, about 14 x 1200s subs and the rest in 600s 

3 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks Donal ??. Do you think I should go for longer subs or more subs?  This image is comprised entirely of h-alpha data, about 14 x 1200s subs and the rest in 600s 

I don't know enough about this to give good advice.  Also,  this is a very subjective hobby, so anything that I say must be taken with a very large pinch of salt.

If you've got the heart to double the exposure of the top half of the image, then go for it.  Otherwise a bit of S or O could add a bit for a lot less time.

Archived